Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
They put my money in a wee tin box! - Mackies

Beano,
you being an old Mackies Man can hopefully answer my question. I started there as an apprentice in September 1960. Everyone had a check ( my number was 3416 ), it was made of brass and was as big as half a crown, you threw it into a box going in in the morning, then it was returned mid morning and had to be thrown in again at lunchtime and was again returned. Fridays you got two checks after lunch, one brass , one silver to be handed in for your pay packet ( the amount contained could be checked without opening it as it was transparent ) which the time clerk brought around shortly before quitting time.
Now my question, old hands told me that earlier, years before this procedure with the silver check the wages were paid out in a wee tin box with your number stamped on the lid and the song " they put my money in a wee tin box" it was sung to the American melody " Camptown racecourse five miles long doo daa, doo daa" so originated
Can you confirm this? I often heard the song " wee tin box" sung when we were children but never knew where it came from
Donald

Re: They put my money in a wee tin box! - Mackies

Donald,

You have a way of conjuring up something different.This time it is one that was told to me as well. I heard Bert Lavelle out of the Electrical Stores singing "Put my money in a wee tin box" one day after he had received his pay packet and the story he told me was exactly what you were told. Payroll for the offices was handled differently so I never did get to handle the brass or silver "checks". My brother Bobby finished his apprenticeship in 1960, at that time he was working in the Drawing Erection, his foreman was Billy Lockey.

Beano

Beano
I started in " Boys Town " 1960, the bosses were Jack Brackenbridge and Charlie Frazer, then moved to the Jute Drawing Erection after returning from a Trade Scholarship in 1962. Harry Mc Neilley was the Gaffer, also an offical of Glentoran football team. I remember him taking holidays to accompany the team abroad, if I remember rightly to play against Bayern Munich. How small the world is.
Keep your darts in
Donald

Re: Re: They put my money in a wee tin box! - Mackies

Donald,

I remember Jack Brackenridge, Charlie Frazer and Harry Mc. very well. When something was delivered to a paticular dept. and there was no packing slip sent through to me I had to trace who signed for it. In the case of "Jute" it was always Charlie who was at fault, he would always give me an argument,even though I could prove his signature was on the customers copy. As you said "Boys Town" small world indeed. Did you know Eric Ross who played for the Glens and went to Newcastle Utd.he also got a couple of international caps, he worked in the "Jute" for awhile,he started with us in the accounts as message boy before serving his time.

Beano

Beano
That with Eric Ross must have been before my time. Do remember th big snow 1962 I think, everybody was sent home as they put the buses off? The shop on the corner , beside the Bookies, someone called Jack owned it, he was a draughtsman in Mackies before taking the shop over. Did you freguent it or did you get your milk from the windeystools? ( only joking )
Donald

Donald,

Jackie Burns owned the shop beside the bookies and he was indeed a draughtsman in Mackies. The "big" snow was 1963 and I left the company three months after that. I joined ICI at Kilroot works in Carrickfergus, and it was one of the best moves I have ever made as they gave me a chance at a new career in chemicals and helped me better my education.

Beano

Beano
If you worked in ICI then we once again worked door to door. I worked 1965 in Carreras cigarette factory, Seapark beside it 1965. One of my most pleasant memories is standing there one Sunday morning at 05.30 am , looking out over Belfast lough and seeing the ship Canberra coming in for a refit.
I remember a scotsman working in the store in Mackies, he had played for Glasgow Rangers in his youth but the name escapes me.
Donald

Beano,
Me again, could the Scotsman have been called Johnny Larkin?

Donald,

When you were in Careras did you ever come across a Bobby Crothers, Bertie Graham, June Kirk or Elsie Higgins, sadly Elsie has passed away. The two men were neighbours of ours and the two ladies were friends of my wife....... just curious.

Beano