Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lagan Belle

I liked the Lagan Belle photos. I hope the business does well.

Re: Lagan Belle

Dabbler, I was on the Lagan Belle on 27th June, it was so nostaglic, as I had lived along the lagan as a child. I never thought I would ever sail along it, but there I was. Well worth it, bliss. I was disappointed that you can't see into the wee park from the railings like you used to see out of. It is all grown up. I am sure many remember the Lagan Sack Mills little bit of green beside the lagan opposite the park where the workers used to sit at lunch time in the summer. My sister remembers so well, the day the baby rolled down the grass there and into the lagan and floated along for a bit and a man dived into the water and saved it. I missed that, and don't know anybody else who remembers it.

Maureen I did visit my aunt Betty, she is fairly well, but doesn't get about much with her legs, and is very deaf, you have to shout everything at her, so it is not easy to communicate. However she remembered you, but couldn't understand how I know of you, and that I couldn't explain! Same thing for you Donald, I mentioned you, and she just said she remembered the Watters, and then went on to other people she knew there too.

House prices in Lisburn are on the up and up. Most good sized and cared for semi detacheds are around average £90000. But Hillsborough prices are very much more as it is such a desirable place to live now! The arch is up in Hillsborough, and in Lisburn town centre, but no longer will you hear Connie Francis from Sloan St or Mercer St. It was a joy to be there to see the place and folk.

Liz

dabbler, just a quick note regarding the IOGT hall. I don’t personally don’t know anything about it except that it was there, but I was talking to someone today who was a member in the late 30’s (long before TV) IOGT stood for “Independent Order of Good Templers” it was a non religious group who got together to discuss local happenings, politics etc. and to promote good neighborly behavior, all over a cup of tea apparently.
Terry

Elizabeth
Your post sounded so REAL. I THINK I remember sack mill workers covered with white powder. Is that a false memory? I mean, if they were making sacks, why would I remember flour? Or was there a flour mill elsewhere?
I did actually ‘sail’ along the canal – on a handmade raft. I think that the boy with me, Jim, must have done most of the handiwork. It was some logs tied together, I’m nearly sure, with rushes. We were by a place that we called The Pier, because there was a small wooden landing that we could climb on, rowing to or from somewhere called Wrights; both of those were on what I would have thought of as the County Down bank of the river; though we always entered from the only bank accessible on foot. Sorry about the grammar. I’m thinking ‘Irish’ as I write this.
I hardly remember any wee girls from the wee park, because, of course, we would have been branded as ‘sissies’ had we played with them, and in any case they would have told me to get lost, but I’m sure I must have slightly known acquaintances of yours, or of your sister. Did you know Joan Leanster? Or Molly (?) Gorman? Or a boy called Russell Bell?

Terry, thanks for the explanation. I know there was a Temperance Institute in Railway Street, so I guess that one was similar.

Dabbler
I don,t think they made sacks or packed flour in the Lagan sack mills. I seem to have it in mind they repaired and cleaned old sacks, but I may be wrong.
Donald

Hi Dabbler, I remember a Dorothy Leinster and an older Joan Leinster. Joan, I think was very rounded and had brown hair, is that right? At the top of Well Lane in Greg Street, lived a large family of Gormans, next door to them a large family of Chapmans. I remember well the Gormans mostly Geraldine who was around my age, her older sister Sunja, and then older ones. Molly I think was one of the older ones. Next door the girls were Margaret, Violet, Ester and Joy Chapman. Oh yes, Dolly and then the youngest was Audrey. When they were old enough these girls all worked after school for the McKeown household who owned the bakery. Fellow playmates of course in the wee park. In Hancock St did you ever come across Evelyn Heasley and her sister Doreen. These girls were much older than me that is why I mention them. That will give you something to shake the old brain cells for a while Dabbler.

Liz

Elizabeth
Thank you. I don’t think the name WAS Molly. Sonjia sounds more like it. Both she and Joan, would now be very close to seventy. I believe, though it was a VERY long time ago, that Joan may have had close to auburn hair. I cannot at this moment recall anyone called Chapman, and the only Heasleys I knew of, and that was years later, were a group of brothers, (who may have had sisters). All the brothers were older than I; one named Jimbo. Like many people of my acquaintance, he could throw a good right hook.

Re: Re: Lagan Belle

Dabbler I think the heasley's you are talking about are the same ones that my daddy's sister Lizzie was married into. She was married to Bobby Heasley and he had a lot of brothers. Jimbo, Thomas, David, Kenneth,Norman.....those are the ones I can remember. I don't know why but I always thought they were from the Low Road.
Liz I remember big Dorothy Leinster. In fact her and I were quite good friends up until I came over here. I also remember Audrey Chapman from the wee Park. She always had lovely red cheeks. Didn't Geraldine Gorman marry John McBride from the Old Hillsborough Road? His sister Renee is on the forum so she would know better.

Re: Re: Re: Lagan Belle

Hello everyone, I know most of the names mentioned. Tommy Gorman and his dog Ben, his sister Sonja who is married to one of our forum pals, we get together often as they are neighbors of mine here in Ontario. (they are in Lisburn at the moment) Geraldine did marry John Mc Bride. Dorothy Leinster was a lot of fun, a good friend of my sister Anne.
Maureen, your cousin David Heasley and I were pals at school, also Kenny (nut) I also knew other Heasleys from Long Kesh, Anne and Janet who both live here in Toronto, I don’t know if they were relatives of yours?
Terry

Elizabeth
Just had to say: I suddenly remembered that little green slope opposite the wee park, and the workers sitting there. Fortunately, I don’t remember the child rolling down.

Dabbler, Russell Bell sounds somehow familiar, help me by telling me where he lived. Did anyone know the large family of Haires that lived in Canal Street. My best friend was Brenda Haire, her father was John Haire, and the brothers and sisters were Gordon (he worked in the mill) Cecil, Harold, Doreen, Louey, Edna and John. A Salvation Army family if that rings any tambourines..........

Liz

Elizabeth
I hadn’t a clue where half the kids lived. We met, played, and said, ‘seeyathemarra’.
Haire rings a bell, but the oul grey matter is cloggin’ up.

Everybody
I once knew a man called Harry Chapman. Unpleasant memory. I think he was a tramp. Used to do a LOT of walking; from Dromore to Lisburn, for example.

Dabbler, Harry Chapman rings a bell as well. If I am remembering correctly, we children talked about him in whispers and kept well away - I don't know why. Maureen is bound to know!

Liz

Elizabeth
I have precise and clear memories of Harry Chapman. Since he is ninety-nine per cent certain to be dead, and unable to defend his name, I will not speak ill of him, but...

HiLiz.You are right Geraldine Gorman is married to John Mc Bride as a matter of fact John is my younger brother ,i was in Lisburn last month and spent our holiday with them ,they live in Hillsborough ,you were also asking about the Heasley family if i can remember correctly i worked with Doreen in the wee factory and i think her sister married an american soldier and went to america to live but that was so long ago i hope i have got my facts right Renee

hello there Harnee,I knew John and Gerldine,I lived in young st. Doreen heasley married Billy Chapman from gregg st.who lived next door to the gorman family Billy was Audrey's brother.it is funny to read some of the forum replys because some of the people that you mention are married to people on the forum. Frazer,when I was last in Lisburn I thought the level of service was lacking!Ihave to agree with you I dont think I would ever go back there again!

Re: Re: Re: Lagan Belle

Hi Ken. Do you know if Doreen Hasley Chapman is dead or alive? All the times I have been home I have never seen her. And we used to be friends.

Where abouts in Yonge Street did you live? I came from the Old Hillborough Road.

Renee

Re: Re: Re: Re: Lagan Belle

Harnee,When I left Lisburn in 1968 Billy and Doreen Chapman were living in the Ballynahinch Rd.in the same row as where John cathcart, Jimmy and Edith Frazer used to live. We lived at #13 wich was six doors up from the pub,saturday nights was like tiny talent time when the pub closed,it could be quite "entertaining" sometimes.The mcCloy family lived next door to us,there was quite a few of them.Sometimes if I slept in I would just be running accross Young st and John would be comming by on his motorcycle and give me a ride to school.It was pretty exciting when on the back of his bikes, he knew how to get the most out his bikes!all the best Ken.

Ken
I remember going to the Tech with two McCune brothers who lived there, Oliver and Junior, did you know them? I think their mother worked in Hilden Mill.
Donald

Hi Donald,I do remember Oliver,Junior(George),and John and Cecil who were the twins,did you know Yorrie Roberts from the low road,his grannie lived close by the McCunes and Yorrie and his younger brother used to spend a lot of time on Youung St in the summer time,and then we would go swimming at fortynine steps with them ,It was almost like being an exchange student. Ken.