Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Town Today

Quiet today. Even Donald. Has the craic run dry?
I looked on the Lisburn Council official site. Certainly shows a go-ahead city these days. I am surprised that, with such a high-tech website, that they are not more interactive. Like selling stuff directly, from the Museum Shop, for example. Any thoughts on this?

Re: The Town Today

Dabbler
I also find the lack of interest disturbing,
It,s just like in real life. Some do the work, others lie back and click and read. When I see how many people read in comparision to those who take time to write all I can say is " You lazy ****". If no one answers then the few who take the time to do so get fed up also. To quote an old saying from my Grandmother, Rosie Watters " You never miss the water till the well runs dry!"
Donald

Dabbler, I personally think that souvenier type things are better sold from the museum, its all a nostalgia thing. They know that visitors on vacation become emotional when they visit the museum, so once you are in there you buy emotionally, rather than logically, which usually means we pay more for an item than what its worth. I thought the Lisburn museum items were quite expensive, and I can’t imagine paying those prices on line without the emotion thing, especially when I would have more time to think about it.

I will say that I am a believer of shopping on line, have been doing so for years, mainly Ebay, where I can buy anything thing from Lisburn souvenirs to dinosaur bones, at much better than retail prices. What surprises me are the number of people who believe that they will be ripped off with on line shopping, not because it has happened to them, but because of stories probably started by local retailers.
Terry

Donald
Nice to see you’re alive an’ kickin’. I do wonder how many would really miss this? A lot of my own input, when I read it again, sounds weird to me, so God knows what it’s like to others. Like, I get my names mixed up, Sloans for Dorans etc. My most recent one, asking about the tinsmith, now that IS a psychological one. At 8.40pm las night; I looked at the time; I remembered that the tinsmith’s name was NOT Collins. Lord knows why I thought about the tinsmith in the first place. I think perhaps we, the family, DID get tea cans from him. Isaac Dalton jumped into my mind. But don’t tell me, I’m wrong again!

Terry
Your comments certainly make sense. I very recently took the plunge, and bought a paperback, Gazza. A discounted paperback, and free delivery was the deciding factor.

Dabbler etc
I for one would miss the old forum,it gives me food for thought and a chance and reason to test my memory. My brother phoned last night and told me he follows everything we write.
Donald

Hey,

Maybe the folks are all on vacation?

I visited the Musuem in January and have to agree with you re the items for sale, yes, they are expensive. Anyway, I did better down at the Tourist Board shop. Had a great bit of craic with the sales clerks!

What I did enjoy though was walking through the area of the history of weaving. There was an English lady who was obviously there to explain to folks how the flax was grown, etc. She started to explain all of this to our party and I just started to laugh and told her, how when a child on my grandparents farm I helped them pull the flax and tie it into bundles before they took it to be submerged in the pond where it stayed for a while.

Those were the days!

Re: Re: The Town Today

dabbler donald terry et all.
your comments are spot on how great it would be if everyone was vying for space to say a little bit,.
in my short time in forum and my little ha,pence worth i,ve enjoyed it so much . it,s a feeling when you say or write something people know what you actually mean. doesn,t happen too often in a different land..
so i,ll miss it for a while as i,m off to Gold Coast queensland for a while into the semi tropics to get some sun. it,s winter here in Victoria and sometimes the temperature can get to minus 3 c at nights quite rough???? good luck to all tom