Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
park gone

went to have a look this morning at the "wee park" gates chained up all gone.....and overgrown......have a couple of fotos taken today e-mail me if ya want them ......sad where are todays kids going to learn how to smoke and things to do with wee girls....ah well

Re: park gone

Alan, unless I was blind to the goings-on, the Wee Park was always a place of true innocence. I never even saw any children smoking there. The Wallace Park, now there was a different story, as children became adolescents...
Even then, more Peyton Place than Chainsaw Massacre.

In fact, for Peyton Place, read Little House On The Prairie.

Hi Alan,sad to hear the wee park is gone.The kid's never got into much devilment there they were to busy drinking.(just kidding). Old Sam Brown was the parkie then and he kept a good watch on eveyone.He was on speaking terms with our grandparents because he was always at the house complaining about us,(it was always Terry's fault). did you ever play marlies (three hole pitch)or cheesers ( chestnuts on a string)or just plain blowing cigarette cards.there were a lot of funky knuckles back then. I learnt to play checkers there with Bobby Morrow,he would usually win and then say go see my mummy and ask her for two ice creams,he was a great opponent,old Sam was really ok as well we just tormented him.

Hi all there is some new photos from Alan Wiese at

http://www.lisburn.com/Photographs/forum-photos.html
also some of bridge street etc

Alan, great photographs, its a pity the park has been closed. Bridge st looks good, might even be expecting some rain. I like the shot of the Union Bridge and the dock wall, brings back a lot of memories. Terry

Re: Re: park gone

they arnt great fotos im not very good with the nrw camera......if the "far away people" want any others taken i will be about town..... sorry city .....all next week all ya gotta do is ask...yep it was raining but its nearly summer..remember summer thats when the rain gets warm

Ken
You just chucked one of those memory timebombs at me. Sam Brown! I wouldn’t have remembered that in a million years. But the name was instantly recognisable. And I have a faint memory of being scared of him, though I have no idea why. Sometimes I feel real daft, looking in here. I have spent quite a while on my bungalow roof today, repairing damage caused by torrential rain, have had a bath, we’re popping over to a neighbour shortly for a ‘social’, yet I look in here to see what’s what. I think the neighbours would agree with the missus, that reading and writing about ‘marlies’ shows I have lost mine. Have to go. Will check out photos tomorrow, Alan, Jim, thanks.

Jim how to I get to see these photos. I have tried to type in what you said but the search engine can't find them

Hi Maureen
If you go to the front page of the site and scroll down you will find a link forum-photographs just click on it.
regards
Jim

Incredible as it may seem, looking at the photo, I can clearly see Pipers Hill as it was in 1950.
The Wee Park has completely disappeared, but presuming the photo which includes the water is taken from near where Nicholson’s shop once was, all the playground is now trees and grass. Something ‘funny’ about the Wee Park photos – when you click on them to expand, each one opens up as the other!
Linenhall Street, to me, is totally unrecognisable. I suppose they must have been redeveloping that area since the sixties. The photo of Market Place and Linenhall Street corner in the Old Photos section is almost exactly as I remember it.
Thanks again to all of you for the memories.

Thanks Jim