Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Witch hole , Peeing Mare and Beetlers

Hallo everyone,
Anyone out there remember the tow path from Hilden bridge to the "high" bridge at Ballyskeah about 50 years ago? The above named "attractions" were along it. About 400 yards from Hilden bridge ,after the "middle green " was the "Peeing Mare", probably named so because it resembled one, a fountain from where the inhabitants of the houses facing the Lisburn refuge site carried home their drinking water in pails. Another 500 yards down below Hunter,s corner came the "Witch hole", a swamp where rushes grew. As boys we collected them and after soaking them in parafin oil ignited them and used them as torches. Then came after the bleaching works , now Coca Cola, a pool we called the Beetlers, probably because the trunks of trees used as beetling rollers were left to soak there. It was a favourite bathing place for children from Hilden, Lowroad, Tullynacross, Lambeg and Ballyskeah. You Lowroader and Liz are sure to know the area. Donald

Re: Witch hole , Peeing Mare and Beetlers

My Dad told me that he rode his bicycle up along the top of the wall of the Ballyskeah High Bridge when he was a wee lad living in Drumbeg.
Upon a " DARE YOU " stunt. That is got to be well over 100 years ago. The Lord

He was taking his life in his hands when you see how far he could have fallen. I once heard that a chap called Walsh,did or was going to dive from it into the river below, another reckless stunt
Donald
ps - off to Cloister Andecs in an hour for a good drop of beer brewed by the monks.

Hi Donald,
Just back on line after another enforced rest.
I well remember the places you mention.The "witchy hole" was a scary sight at night as it seemed to attract a lot of dragonflies and the luminescence of them was quite eerie. I walked (and ran) that towpath a few times and have many happy memories of the area. I agree with you about the cyclist. The bridge at Ballyskeagh was also known as the High Bridge and your description of it is very true.
I have had a few clips round the ear hole for lighting up the "drumsticks" in my time. Billy Morrow's shop often ran out of paraffin in the summer because of the hole!!
I hope to comment on other items once I have read through.
LR

Hi Lowroader,
good to hear from you, I was getting worried about you and Dabbler.He hasn,t reported in yet. I was going to send a search party out for you and him, now I can confine it to Dabbler. If you see thousands of people combing Great Britain tell them you have been found and to concentrat their search on Dabbler
Do you remember Andy Brody,s son Davie? he used to get my Aunt Sheila,s ice skates sharpened.
Donald