Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Turn your radio on!!

My memories of Radio....or should I say wireless....are not of the Goons..though obviously I have heard of them......but of the forces request show on a Sunday. I also remember Uncle Mac on a saturday morning. Being looked after every day by my granny Patterson I regularly listened to Mrs. Dales Diary and of course Listen with Mother. Can you remember the songs that uncle Mac played on his childrens show? The runaway train was one and Max Bygraves with I'm a pink toothbrush etc. Can anyone remember any more?

Re: Turn your radio on!!

Maureen, My first radio was a Crystal Set.
With a cat's whisker,which you had to play around with to get a station. Radio Erin had good music.
Later came the wet & dry battery type radio with tubes. We had to go to Smiths garage to get the wet battery charged up.
The Lord

Hi Maureen
I remember "Twenty tiny fingers, twenty tiny toes," being sung and for some reason ( probably because it described the pains of birth setting in) was banned !. How prude and old fashioned.
Connie Francis singing "Jealous Heart", Max Bygreaves singing "Hands" . Joseph Lock was a favourite of my Grandparents. " Danny Boy", " The old Bog Road", "She moved through the Fair", "I,ll take you home again Kathleen" but to mention a few which would have brought tears to their eyes.
have a nice day everyone
Donald

Re: Re: Turn your radio on!!

Youve set me off in tune Donald. Here's four of my favourite Irish songs - The old bog road My own lovely Lee [Kissing, The mountains of Mourne and The Isle of Innisfree Now I shall be singing for the rest of the evening............

Me as well Liz,
I got out a CD of Josef Locke and played it on my PC while surfing
" When you were sweet sixteen", "Little grey home in the west", " Slievnamon", " Lovely Derry on the banks of the Foyle", " The mountains of Mourne"

Not a dry eye in the house!
Donald

Re: Re: Turn your radio on!!

Donald,

Why do we Irish love to torture ourselves like that?
I do the same thing myself every once in a while and sit there and feel sorry for myself and "boo hoo."
I tell my husband "Sorry, I can't help it" He understands, thankfully doesn't think I'm a headbin!

Re: Re: Re: Turn your radio on!!

Liz The song I associate with your mommy is " I go to church on a Sunday" with your Daddy it's "Forever and ever" and with Will it is "For the good times"

Re: Re: Re: Turn your radio on!!

I don't remember a lot of Irish songs being sung on the radio when I was young, only at the corner of Young st. Favourites of mine were; Just walking in thr rain, Que Sera Sera, Diana, Tammy, The story of my life, Catch a falling star, Singing the blues, Tom Dooly. I still enjoy hearing them.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Turn your radio on!!

One time at our school concert,Adrain Watters from Smithfield had a (skiffle Group)and they done Singing The Blues,they were good but I think a little to much Rebel for some people of the time. That was before the Troggs and The Pretty Things, and other bands that we know of came on the scene. Wasn't The Maimi Showband just the greatest?.

More torture coming up Lady D. I forgot this one as my current favourite - Listen to me singing now " I wish I was in Carrickfergus, or else Antrim or Ballygray .........and in Kilkenny...." It is the song "Carrickfergus" - gorgeous.

Maureen I don't remember 'I go to church on Sunday', my mum sang manys the song! And my dad used to drive me mad. He used to say when I was a teenager, Betty, love, ENJOY YERSELF! And I would stand fuming. Then he would sing the song Enjoy yourself it's later than you think. I remember well him singing 'When you were sweet sixteen' to my mother. The look on her face would have frozen anyone except wee Billy.

Liz

Another song always brought tears to my eyes " The old rugged cross". It was an Salvation Army melody and was sometimes sang in Lisburn pubs on Saturday nights as a thank you by the members when they came to collect . Even today the Salvation Army can go unmolested everywhere in Norniron while they are respected by everyone for the charitable work they do.Donald