Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What was your first T.V.Show

The first show I ever saw on T.V.was Robin Hood and that was in 1957, well on our own T.V.that is, actually it wasn't our own,it was rented. 1954 was the first time I saw T.V. other than in J.C.Patterson's window. It was the World Cup final between Germany and Hungary, it was in my old pal Les.McStea's house on Sloan St.and we were crammed in like sardines, but boy what a thrill it was.
I am sure you all have recollections of what was the first show you remember....... give it a go.

Beano

Re: What was your first T.V.Show

Beano
We probaly sat next to each other in JC Pattersons at that FUTBALL match, It was a Saturday if I remember correctly and JCs was packed, rows of kids sitting in front of a black and white set.
I remember UTV starting, it was 1959/60. I was working in Hilden mill then and dashed home to see the beginning about 6.30pm.
Who remembers the Yogi Bear( smarter than the average bear ) programme?
Donald

Re: Re: What was your first T.V.Show

Mother used to drag me down to Annie Smiths house (George and Laura’s mother) on Sunday nights to watch the Black and White minstrel show and & 77 Sunset Strip, everyone liked the guy with the comb, Cookie? Might have been mid 50's
Terry

Mr. Beano,

Oh that reminds me just now, one of my headmasters was named Mr. Bean. He was tough!

Anyway, on the subject of T.V. My first experience with T.V. was Queen Elizabeth's Coronation. The family gathered at my uncle and aunt's house in Hillsborough to watch the ceremony. There were dozens of us it seems, kids everywhere, were crammed into my uncle and aunt's sitting room!

When we got our own TV set, my favorite show was "Maverick" with James Garner.

Re: Re: Re: What was your first T.V.Show

Hi Terry,

Strange you should mention those two shows, the Minstrals first appeared in 1959 the same year "77" Sunset Strip premiered in the U.K. (1957 in the U.S.)
The Minstrals were formed out of the George Mitchell Glee Club, both shows I enjoyed very much.

Beano

Re: Re: What was your first T.V.Show

The first show I can clearly remember watching was in Robin and Sylvia McCarters house up the Ballynahinch road. I,m afraid to say it was not as sophisticated as the ones you have mentioned. It was Rag Tag and Bobtail !!!

Re: Re: Re: What was your first T.V.Show

I have distant memories of Torchy the Battery Boy - it rained orange juice and there was a girl called Bossy Boots who I did an impersonation of. My favourite though was the Wooden Tops with the biggest spotty dog in the world. When I was a bit older we used to watch Robin Hood with Richard Greene then go out the back fields and make bows and arrows! Nobody had their eye put out as far as I remember but those arrows would be classed offensive weapons now!! Gorgeous day today

What about Steptoe and son!
Donald