Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Bachelors

Hi Beano,

Several years ago, my husband and I vacationed on the west coast of Ireland. There is a small town in County Clare, Lisdoonvarna, where the farmer bachelors all come to town one day a year for the specific purpose of selecting a wife. There was a special on U. S. TV regarding this quaint custom. I have not seen the movie you mentioned but perhaps the idea for the movie originated in Lisdoonvarna!

Lady D

Re: The Bachelors

Lady Downshire,

You could be right re.Lisdoonvarna. When we had the showband we used to do a comedy number.......... Well I'm of to Lisdoonvarna at the end of the year, I'm off for a bit of craic, the woman and the beer, I'm awful shifty for a man of fifty, catch me if you can my name is Dan sure I'm your man. That was just some of the words that I can remember, I know that it goes on and on about the Bachelors of Lisdoonvarna, so who knows.

Beano

Re: Re: The Bachelors

Mr. Beano,
I didn't know you had a band. Well, that's interesting, a comedy song about Lisdoonvarna! I wonder how many women show up for the Bachelor's Day?!

Out in our neck of the woods there were two bands (that I know of). One, the Patterson Brothers, and the other was Jimmy Johnson's.

The Patterson's band was limited mainly to the Kilwarlin area for a time. But I believe Jimmy went on to bigger and better things.

Re: Re: Re: The Bachelors

Lady D.

We were a six pce. showband and played in the Niagara Peninsula and the odd time in Toronto Area. We had three Ulstermen, a Scot, an Italian and a real Canadian. We were together for about sixteen years and thoroughly enjoyed it. However all good things must come to an end.

Beano

Re: Re: Re: Re: The Bachelors

Mr. Beano,

Oh, I thought perhaps your band was part of the Lisburn scene.

Lady D