Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tommy James - Tea time with Tommy

Come on everyone,

Let,s not get depressed,lets think about other things and cheer ourselves up. Who remembers Tommy James playing the piano in the Assembly Rooms on Saturday nights? That was before he played on UTV in his own show " Tea Time with Tommy" in the 50s I think it was. James Young appeared sometimes as well, and if I remember correctly so did Frank Carson, made famous by the TV advert from the Belfast Savings Bank.= " Where do you keep your money? "
Didn,t a hypnotist called Heath also appear? I think the admission fee was about one and six, at the interval most of the men sneaked out to the pub beside the top Fuscos for a quick one.
Have a nice weekend all, I,m taking my two eldest Grandkids, Max and Christian fishing tomorrow to our company,s rented lake near Neuburg on the Danube about 70Kms away. Here if you want to fish you must have a licence, which is only issued after taking a test and attending night classes ( No fibbing ). I told my brother this and him not being overly fond of Germans only comment was, "Is part of the test having to march down to the river in jackboots!"
Donald

Re: Tommy James - Tea time with Tommy

Donald,

I was only at the Assembly Rooms Sat. Night Show one time. As a young teen I guess I wasn't overly impressed for I never went back! The comedian or whoever was pretty crude, so I thought if this is the best they can do, I'm outta here.

I do remember vividly, going with my friends to see "The Quiet Man" playing at the Ritz cinema in Belfast, and it has remained one of my favorite movies. We all were just country kids and we thought we were really something, taking the bus down to Belfast by ourselves!

Every St. Patrick's Day here the AMC Channel runs "the Quiet Man" movie and of course I have to watch it. My husband and kids say, "What, are you watching that thing again!" Of course their comments are given with affectionate humor!

I think by now I know every line in that movie! My husband's favorite scene (Yeah, he watches the movie too) is the fight in the pub where John Wayne calls out "Bar towel!" after being insulted by Dannagher who has just pitched a drink in John's face.

We all have favorite movies so that might be another good topic for the forum.

Lady D / Silvia
How many carriage doors did John Wayne slam shut before he found his wife and pulled her out of the train?
Donald

Re: Re: Tommy James - Tea time with Tommy

Lady Downshire, “The Quiet Man” is a favorite of mine also; it was very unusual to see so many big actors and family members in one movie. Brothers Barry Fitzgerald and Arthur Shields, Francis Ford, John Wayne even had his kids on the cart for the big horse race. I like the fishing scene with father Loneroan (Ward Bond) and Maureen O Hara singing the Isle of Innisfree, a verse I had never heard. I also like the story of the local people in Cong in 1951where the movie was made, who thought they were getting free electricity, and had it taken out when they found out they had to pay for it. The entire making of the movie must have been a riot. Hard to believe that its very existence depended on the success of the “Rio Grande”

There’s another great classic called “Darby O’Gill and the little people” by Walt Disney, maybe you’ve see it. More of a fairy tale, with leprechauns, banshee’s etc, but terrific special effects for its age. Stars Albert Sharpe (I was told he came from Larne?) Janet Munro, Jimmy O’Dea. Sean Connery plays in his first movie, its also very entertaining.

Donald/Lady D/Terry,

Ten carriage doors he slammed shut before he pulled the lovely Kate from the train, but you only see him close ....... how many?. It is also my favourite film of all time, I have had it on Beta and VHS for a long time, but only bought it on DVD a couple of weeks ago. Darby O'Gill is also a favourite of mine and as Terry said the special effects are terrific. I also enjoyed the little Irish dance performed by "King Brian" and the Banshee sequence is awesome. I recently saw an Irish movie about these village bachelors who wrote to a newspaper in the USA inviting girls to come over with a view to marriage. Has anyone else seen it, or even know what it was called?. I would like to see the movie again.

Beano

Re: Re: Re: Tommy James - Tea time with Tommy

Beano, I think that movie was called “American Women” were the guys put an add in the Miami Herald looking for girls. The local girls counteract by hiring a Spanish band, good fun. Terry

Re: Re: Re: Re: Tommy James - Tea time with Tommy

Beano, I should have mentioned that Darby O Gill is now available on DVD and well worth getting. A more recent (1998) fun movie is “Waking Ned Devine” about the search for a winner of the National Lottery in Ireland. (shot on the Isle of Man) A great example of Irish humor and mentality. (Family rating)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tommy James - Tea time with Tommy

Thanks a lot Terry for the information re Darby O'Gill, I will make an effort to get it. I saw "Ned Devine" and thoroughly enjoyed it. One of the old guys in "Ned" was in a series back home many years ago, called "Me Mammy" with Milo O'Shea, I think he played the part of cousin Enda. Thanks also for "The American Woman" movie info it was a simple movie but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Beano

Beano
didn,t even know how many doors John Wayne closed, only remember my brother in law telling me the question was asked in a pub quiz once. Thanks
Back from fishing ,rained all day , but the boys had a great time, all three caught a trout, but their Grandpa ( a fully certified holder of a German fishing degree with papers to prove it caught NIX ). Just have to go today to a beergarden and catch a charcoal grilled mackeral with giant Pretzel and a litre of freashly tapped ,cool beer!
Donald

Donald,

The same question arose in a trivia night we took part in, I would never have guessed it myself, I have now checked it out. Sorry you didn't catch a fish yourself. I am sure it was your intention for the boys to enjoy it anway.

Beano