Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The " pit " in Lisburn Picture House.

Lisburners
Reading about the McCooey,s, Mina Dornan and Sticky Dornan, her Dad and Manager of the Lisburn Picture House brings back memories of the "pit" ! It was I think a tanner to get in. The seats were solid wood and you had a stiff neck when the film was over from looking up to the screen Sticky Dornan comes to mind as a huge person in a black suit who used to walk down to the front of the cinema ( when us kids were running about, yelling and shouting ), read the riot act and when we were quiet used to scratch his ear as a signal for the projectionist to start the film. Someone mentioned the name Porter earlier, I,m almost sure the projectionist was an Englishman married to one of the Porter girls from the Lowroad. Then in the interval two ladies would come down to the front and sell ices and minerals.
After Sticky Dornan died very suddenly one of the former attendants got his job and instead of his uniforn started to wear also a blak suit. Even today I remember some of the films - The Bowery Boys - The Mystery Riders - Ma and Pa Kettle -
Donald

Re: The " pit " in Lisburn Picture House.

Donald, you have a great memory. I certainly went to the 'pit' for sixpence on a Saturday afternoon. We used to call it the 'flea pit' which didn't say much for it. The thing I remember most, was the revelation that there were two kinds of people in Lisburn, the ones who left early and quickly before 'The Queen' was played, and the ones who stayed till the bitter end. I wasn't aware of why this happened until one day an older girl told me and my childhood innocence of every body being the same was gone!

Liz

Hi Liz
when you mention two types of people in the cinema , you meant of course male and female
Donald

Re: Re: The " pit " in Lisburn Picture House.

No, Donald, I didn't. I was recalling the innocent awakenings of a child starting to observe things more difficult to understand than the difference between boys and girls or rich and poor.

An ominous foreshading perhaps of having to 'get out' as an adult of my homeland when I wouldn't have done so otherwise. And many a one like me. I still grieve this fact, however I have no bitterness attached to it. On a lighter note, I am eagerly looking forward to my visit soon, two nights at the Causeway hotel, and the rest in Lisburn.

Liz

Liz
I knew of course what you meant, was only joking and trying to see the problem which I,m sure still excists a little light hearted despite the fact it is / was a serious one.
To quote the bible " the poor shall always be with us". This problem also.
I am sure you agree that both sides of the community would have benefited,had they joined forces and strove together to improve their social standards and working conditions.