Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4
Author
Comment
Re: More people

Dabbler - my grandparents on my mother's side were Gillilands - William and Mary - had 13 children, only 6 lived to adulthood - Elizabeth (Lizzie); Eleanor (Nelly); Jean (Ginny); Florence (Florrie - emigrated to Canada); my mother Annie (Nan, who married Billy Thompson); Ruth (Ruby); William (Billy). The brackets are the names they were known by! Only one survives - my aunt Ruby.

Hilary
I think the name is a coincidence, but Freddy Gilliland was someone I sparred with as a teenager. We both fell about laughing at our inexperience. Your dad would have beaten both of us together.

Dabbler
I remember a farming family from Hillhall called Gilliland ( Jack ? ).Could it be the same ones? My Grandfather used to buy his eggs there.
Donald

I do believe that my aunt Florrie married a Gilliland (although her maiden name was also Gilliland). They went to Canada to live and had 4 children I believe - one of which was called Jack. Maybe that's part of the strand of Gillilands that you knew. What a small world!

More people

I think I may have worn you guys out, but I’ll try again.
How about some more, yes, even more, Stewarts mill workers? Esme Davis, whom I last saw in Woolworth, Luton, close to forty years ago. Margaret Breslyn, and her younger sister. I think they both went to England.
Who said they knew people in Bradburys Buildings? Edward Kidd lived there, with brother Neville. Big Lizzie, the mother, was a very popular woman, bless her soul. The Hamiltons lived next door. Jake and his sister. A bit like the Star name attached to the McManuses, the Hamiltons were known as Dooner. The Cowans too lived in that street. I’m not sure if it was them who kept the pigeons behind the ‘secret gate’, but pigeons there certainly were. Pigeons were popular in that area around Hill Street. There was a big family of Spences. I could go on... never mind. I’ve enjoyed the craic.

Dabbler, I played often in Bradbury Buildings. My grandparents Mary and Willie Gilliland lived there for years, do you remember them. On the left hand side near to the pigeons and the secret gate. Next door lived Lizzy Dicky, and on the other side the first house going up my aunt Ginny and uncle Bobby Porter lived with my cousins Gloria, Robert and Ronnie. I remember a large lady called Mrs Cord, and a younger woman called Madge Scott. I think it was Mrs Cord's daughter who used to sing. I remember Furfies as well, a handsome young man called I think Daniel Furfy who chased me once and nearly caught me. Where there Gambles as well or Campbells?

Re: Re: More people

Donald, I believe you. In those days people did die of odd things like you describe. Wouldn't happen today but then odder things happen today! I had a friend once whose mother (in her forties) slipped on an icy pavement and broke her leg, and died from infection. My friend's name was Brenda Russell, and I think she lived at Dunmurry. Another thing I remember - a young man who lived in Canal Street whose name I cannot remember died from being hit with a ball in a game of football. That was around 1955.

By the way I enjoyed your account of the day you described. I know it all a bit as my brother in law Jeremy Brandon lives in Munich and is an avid beer drinker and model train expert. We have visited them two or three times. My husband speaks German well, but my brother in law had difficulty and went to classes for years. Thanks for that.

Liz
Jake Hamilton’s sister, (even she was known as Dooner, maybe not to her face), was a renowned vocalist. If still alive, she would now be approaching seventy.
Ronnie Porter, yes, nicknamed Stout, friend, in childhood and early youth of Neville Kidd and Tit Logan.
Dickey????? The question marks are my mind trying to function. I remember Dickeys, almost next door to Hanna’s blacksmith, in whose house there was a boy, Jim, often called Dickey, though his real name was Spence. Cannot remember the reason. Perhaps reared by grandparents!? He was not one of the Bradbury’s Buildings Spences.
The Dickeys’ daughter was, I’m nearly sure, called Madge. Madge Dickey – perhaps she married a Scott.
All references are post war to early fifties.
Cord also rings a reluctant bell. Furphys have been discussed in connection with Buggy Row. Same people! Bradbury’s Buildings is correct for them.
At this moment, I cannot remember the Campbells.
The Gillilands may have included my young ‘sparring partner,’ though I confess I was only on punching terms with him, so I’m not sure.

Everyone out there
Please tell me where Bradbury,s Buildings was or is!
Stout Porter? I remember a Family Porter , Alice , Violet, John , but to mention a few of the offspring, they lived in Harts Hill, first house, bottom of Bridge St Hilden, before flitting to Grand St, Lowroad next door to Ned Gorman .
Remember calling into the British Legion in Hollyhead, Wales one Sunday morning on my way to Ireland from Germany 1971 as we had to wait for the Ferry and was talking to a man who was having a " Fruhschoppen" = drinks before lunch. His wife was one of the Porters , he had been stationed in Thiepyal, met, courted and married her in Lisburn.
Donald

Re: Re: Re: More people

Dear liz the person who died after being hit with a cricket ball was Graham Hanna from canal street.

Re: Re: Re: Re: More people

Thanks Ken, I only knew him vaguely, but I remember a great deal of grief about him around Well Lane and Canal Street, and Largymore school. There seems to have been an awful lot of Hannas around. Would Beano know this family I wonder?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: More people

Hi Liz,

Yes I did know that paticular Hanna family from Canal St., there were two boys, Alan and Graham, Graham was the youngest,and the story was that he died from being hit by a ball, however he did have "Leukaemia". Strangely enough at that time in Graham's class, were Ann Wall, Angela Larmour, and Elizabeth Hanna (Plantation)who would all die very young of the same disease. Also in that class was my own sister Liz who at present is fighting the same illness, she by the way has lived in Bournemouth for 35 years.

To Ken Ingleston,
Are you related to the Inglestons from Young St.who where in Christ Church CLB?. I remember Bill very well.

Beano

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: More people

hi there beano,i am bills younger brother i was in the clb when you got your silver bugle.i also remember your brother bobby, (Dandy).

Hi Liz, did you know that there is a poem in the Lisburn Historical Society Journals called “Thoughts in verse of Lisburn years ago” that mentions your grandparents and their neighbours who you recalled?

Donald, Bradbury’s buildings where located on the hill between Barnsley’s Row and Church st.

Terry

More people

On my last trip to Belfast, 1958/9, I met on the boat a Buggy Row resident called Ignatius Brown. On the train I met a very proud Red Beret from the oul town called ‘Spud Murphy’.

Was that the Hill parallel to Bridge St leading from the Union Bridge to the Dublin Rd,where the Gasworks was?
Apart from my beloved Hilden and Low Rd I,ve a very bad sense of direction in Lisburn
Donald

Donald, the hill you mention is Laganbank road, running up from the bottom of Bridge st.
If you pull up the map of Lisburn on this site you will see a solid blue line line from the top of bridge down to Barnsley’s Row, that’s Pipers Hill, continue on to Laganbank Rd from there and that is the hill where Bradbury,s buildings are.

Terry, thanks.
Now I know where Bradburys Buildings were. I think my Great Uncle Barney Watters ( Grandpa,s brother ) and his wife Cassy lived somewhere there. He worked in , Where else! Hilden Mill.
Donald

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: More people

Ken, thanks for that. You mention Ann Wall, she was in my class at Largymore and Sloan Street. She was the first person I ever heard of to die with cancer.

Terry, your name rings a bell. In my mind I can even picture you. Were you at Largymore, in my class or an older class. I was born 1945.

More people

Tom, or
Donald
If I can drag you away from that asparagus, did you know the Hamiltons and MacNamees? Buggy Row, of course.

Dabbler,
Could that be the same Hamiltons who moved to the Lowroad in Lawnbrook Drive? It is possible because the sons, Ian and Jim were friendly with Ned Close from Antrim Street, the Station Master at Hilden Halt. They must be coming up to 70 now. Ian was one of the first Teddy Boys in Lisburn and the first to have his head shaved Yul Brenner style, he courted one of Vicky Allen,s daughters, May I think was her name. I remember him working in the Lokamotive sheds at Balmoral ( Belfast of course ).Got to rush because my Asparagus is getting cold!
Donald

Dabbler
Here,s another try the first answer got lost somewhere along the line. Could the Hamiltons you mean have moved to Lawnbrook Drive Lowroad? There were two sons Ian and Jim,they must be around 70 now. It is possible because they were very friendly with Ned Close , Stationmaster at Hilden Halt who also came from Antrim Street. If so Ian was one of the first Teddy boys in Lisburn and the first to get his head shaved Yul Brenner style. He courted one of Vicky Allen,s daughter, May I think. was her name and worked in the Locamotive sheds in Balmoral, Belfast. Got to rush because my Aspargus is getting warm and my wine cold or vice versa
Donald

Money in the bank, fridge full, lunch at the local tavern, with a pint of best, at least twice a week, regular contact with family members, snorkelling holiday looming, two teles, all digital channels, beautiful countryside views and walks around here, am I mad or what?

All and sundry,
I am trying desperately to catch up but I am afraid without total success.
By the way welcome to the Inglestons.
I worked for Gilliland the farmer out by Orrs Lane. They were connected to the Simpsons or maybe just fellow slave drivers ( anyone who thought slavery was abolished in the 1800’s should have spent a summer or two working for a farmer!!!
I once worked with a man called Jimmy Dickey. He came. I think, from the Longstone and was quite prominent in civic matters - or am I just dreaming? Like Donald I am not the greatest authority on the streets (or buildings) of Lisburn but I am really enjoying being educated.
Us Low Roader/Hildeners were a trifle parochial you know.
LR

All and sundry,
I am trying desperately to catch up but I am afraid without total success.
By the way welcome to the Inglestons. I worked for Gilliland the farmer out by Orrs Lane. They were connected to the Simpsons or maybe just fellow slave drivers ( anyone who thought slavery was abolished in the 1800’s should have spent a summer or two working for a farmer!!!
I once worked with a man called Jimmy Dickey. He came. I think, from the Longstone and was quite prominent in civic matters - or am I just dreaming? Like Donald I am not the greatest authority on the streets of Lisburn but I am really enjoying being educated.
LR

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: More people

Liz, I was probably a nuisance! I remember you well
from Well Lane area, also Beano and our good friend Maureen who was one of my neighbours. I went to the Central and was born in 1948
Terry

Low Roader,

Jim Dickey was my father's cousin and he came from Barrack St.and yes he was into local politics. He was a member of council for a number of years. You must have worked with him in Shorts as he worked there for a long time. Incidentally he passed away two years ago.

Beano

Beano / lowroader
I think I remember Jimmy Dickey, wasn,t he the driving force to get the first swimming pool built?
I seem to remember him at the opening ceremony being praised fro his efforts.My youngest daughter was about 18 months old then( now 39 )and myself went swimming on that first day, it seems like yesterday!
Donald

Tom, where you by any chance related to Ronnie McCabe from the Low road?
Terry

Donald,

Your'e right on about Jim Dickey and the swimming pool. I understand there is a move to get the new pool named "The James Dickey Memorial Pool", I don't know where it is situated in the town, anyone have any idea?.

Beano

1 2 3 4