Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Top Hat Ballroom

Who from you out there remember the Big Band era in the Top Hat? Jiving, Moody ,Twist. Drainpipe trousers, Suede shoes, crew cuts Ben sherrman shirts, suits on tick, etc etc
Donald

Re: Top Hat Ballroom

Donald,
Was the Top Hat off Bow Street? I was never a dancer but I have heard of it.

Re: Re: Top Hat Ballroom

That,s right, it was down an entry there facing the Dublin Rd
Donald

Donald,

The Top Hat takes me back, while I wasn't into the Jive myself at that time,I loved to watch, and there were plenty of talented Jiver's in Lisburn. It was at the Top Hat that I first heard The Royal Showband, The Miami and Frankie Mc Bride and The Polka Dots, all great showbands the lot of them. Wasn't Stanley Orr a manager there at one time?.

Beano

A Manager or a bouncer

Stanley Orr was the manager of the Top Hat back in the day, there's an article on this website somewhere, I remember reading it. By the way, Stanley is my Grandfather. Anybody know him..? He's living at the bottom of Seymour Street these Days.

Hi Donald

Manys a one stood at the back of the Top Hat just watching the dancing including Beano it seems. I was there, doing the jive, the twist, the moody, enjoying the big bands that came there, my favourite being Miami, and the Kings. I used to go with my brother Will and his girlfriend Kathleen Reid until I got married in 1965, and that was it, I never went again.

Liz

Liz
Moody! that brings back memories, but not to be shared, Today the couples dance about 6foot apart, how strange, if anyone knows anything nicer than dancing slowly, close to a partner of the opposite sex with entwined arms please let me know as I have yet to experience it. I remember dancing in Glenavy on Sunday evenings over 40 years ago under the watchfull eye of the local PP, Father Kerr I think was his name, who was headmaster once at St Malacys in Belfast.He forbid Moody and with hand gestures separated the couples who dared.
Donald