Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
davy jones

I too have memories of davy jones. I use to go to my aunt lizzies everyday on my way home from Wallace High. She lived in Antrim Place or as it was fondly known "buggy row". Most of the time Davy was stood on the corner of Antrim Place and Antrim street and somehow or other he invariably scared the life out of me by saying "hello" in that deceptively deep voice.
I remember my aunt lizzie telling me he had a brother who was a priest....Father joaquin???? Actually when I think of it perhaps it was a cousin who was a priest....the name Frankie Little somehow comes to mind as his real name.

Re: davy jones

He was called Father Joaquim, hope the spelling is right.Yes his name was Frank Little.

Re: Re: davy jones

Hi, I can remember Davy Jones as well,he owned two cars, one a midget car which he drove himself and an old Armstrong Siddely,with pre - select gearbox.If my memory serves me right he got married. I remember his funeral around 1965.Didn´t know Father Joachim was related to him, he ( Fathert Joachim )was much younger and had a sister called Johanna who went to the Tech around 1960 with me
Regards
D Watters

Just looking back for something that I can join in. Anybody remember wee Davy being carried around piggyback?
And, different subject; are there any Sloans there related to Corkens? Just curious.

Dabbler I can't remember Davy being piggy backed, but obviously that means nothing.
I remember him getting married and his wife having her baby but I have a funny feeling Davy was dead by the time the little boy was born. At that time they were living on Dill Avenue.

Of course, Maureen. If Davy had moved, then probably others too.
Did you know others living near your aunt in Buggy Row? Hamilton, Dunleavey, Brown?

The only ones I can remember really are Davy Jones and Butch Davidson. My great Aunt Lizzie's next door neighbour was a lady called Sarah McCann. Her daughter Annie lived a few doors up and she was married to a man called Jimmie Donnely. Just across from my aunt was a family called McGann and I think that lady's name was Sarah also. I know she had a few daughters who were a fair bit older than I was.

Give me a week or two to digest that, and I may remember somebody. Age.....
Was Butch born and bred in Lisburn?

I think he was........ but his daughter is also on the forum so she would know better.
I knew Butch from two places, one was obviously Antrim Place and the other was when he lived on Young Street and he was married to his first wife Lil. They lived next door to us and I grew up with his two children from his first wife Patsy and gerard. He also had family on Island Row.

Re: Butch

Ta, Maureen. I thought he was a Scot. I think I remember him telling me proudly: “Ye can sit on a shamrock, but ye cannae sit on a thistle.” But I may be wrong. It was VERY long time ago.

Dabbler, Noticed your message on last page.Yes i am a full cousin to Tommy Corken and the rest. Only seen your question last night, will have to pay more attention.

Re: Re: Butch

I loved what you said about my da,Howard Davidson, i love him very mutch im his last dauter,Kathleen Davidson.

Kathleen
I’m not sure if you meant my comment. The man that I remember was Scottish. He was much older than I, and would have known my parents, and would have remembered even their parents.
Maureen, you have a better memory of Buggy Row residents than I. I remember the McCaughertys, the Browns, Dunleaveys, Hamiltons, and wee Davy on the corner.

Re: Re: Re: davy jones

Donald, Was looking up old messages and noticed one from you in which you were talking about Fr. Joachim. He has since died. However, he didn't have a sister Johanna. He had a sister called Kathleen Lyttle who went to the Convent School with me, so you must be thinking of someone else. I was at the Tech in 1955-56. GAWD!!!!

Ann
Old age must be playing tricks on me but I remember in Peg McQuades religous instruction class in the old part of the Tech , her and Rosaline Woods sitting together, could tell you some more names. Ann Murray, Eveline and Maura McConnel, Eamon Kelly, Hugh Rooney, John Roy , Ernie Marsden. Maybe I,m mixing up first names but I would bet she was at the Tech 1956 / 59
Donald

my uncle frankie was father joachim, and my davy jones was my great uncle on my mothers side, Catherine Lyttle, who married my father, gerard stewart.
my uncle davy jones. davy was married and had one child, and his wee cars are still in the ulster transport museum :)

Donald
Ann

Old age must be playing tricks on me but I remember in Peg McQuades religous instruction class in the old part of the Tech , her and Rosaline Woods sitting together, could tell you some more names. Ann Murray, Eveline and Maura McConnel, Eamon Kelly, Hugh Rooney, John Roy , Ernie Marsden. Maybe I,m mixing up first names but I would bet she was at the Tech 1956 / 59

Donald

There was an Obituary in the Tele this week that a lady called Peggy McQuaid , formerly from Warren Gardens lisburn and other addresses in Northern Ireland died on January 4. Re- reading this made me wonder if she was the Peggy McQuaid who taught us in the Tech?
donald

There are a selection of photos from Davy Jones on this site in the "people" photos
donald

Hi Donald & All

A happy new year ,and good health to all !
Regarding Davey Jones , I remember himself ,and Paddy Stoops ,traveling around church street ,and other streets ,selling (Coal Brick )Paddy doing he driving . An also have saw him in his wee red car .
He is buried ,as far as I know ,in the old cemetery on Dublin road ,facing the laganvalley hospital .
Regards!
Tommy
PS he also sold old lemonade bottles ,filled with bleach .
Ah Memories !