Forum: General Forum
This forum is locked and posting is not allowed
Author
Comment
Vegvisir question

For my next tattoo I am planning on getting the "vegvisir". My question is about placement.
Since the "vegvisir" would be a direction sign for me to "see my way", I wanted it placed on my LT inner forearm so that north was pointing out in front of me towards my fingers. Visually I know this would be disturbing to people who actually know their runes because it would be upsidedown to everyone but me. ( not that that part matters) Other than asthetics...would it be wrong to place the vegvisir upside down so that I can see it right side up?
Many Thanks in advance!

P.S. Do you know of a rune charm specifically designed for "balance" It sounds weird but I have balance issues with my tattoo placement. ( They are all either midline or on the Lt side. I only have 1 tattoo on the right. I figured by having a "balance" tattoo on my right might help me feel not so asymmetrical and then I might actually be able to get more on my right!

Email  
Re: Vegvisir question

First off, be careful about the design you choose for your Vegvesir. There are several versions, most of them incorrect. Your best option would be to design one specifically for yourself incorporating the runes that are most appropriate to your own path, whether it is physical or spiritual.

Second, I would always recommend that the design is right-way-up to the observer rather than the wearer. It is not you who needs to see the design, it is the gods who will guide you, and they will see you as any observer would see you. I imagine that a reversed Vegvesir could possibly have the effect of steering you in the opposite direction to that desired.

Finally there is a bindrune for balance which is shown in the members area of the Rune Tattoos website. If you are not already a member it costs US$8.95 for a year.

I'd love to sign up for the Members area. This is a tattoo I'd like to get and could really use the help!
The only problem is that I noticed you accept Pay Pal payments. I have had considerable trouble with them in the past and personally don't trust the service with any sort of financial information. ( Sorry! Just my personal opinion from experience!) How do you suggest I go about making payment? Is there any other way? I would love to retain your services as a consultant, but I noticed you are no longer accepting clients. My tattoo appointment isn't until May...any chance of opening the service back up before then?
Many Thanks!

Email  

Also, Why would one have a runic compass come with 5,6, or 7 staves? Wouldn't it be 8?
Sorry, Just a little confused by that!

Email  

I will send you an email link to the 2Checkout shopping cart where you can make a payment for Site Membership using any card.

The 5, 6 and 7 stave designs are useful when someone only wants to combine that number of runes/bindrunes. As you pointed out, it's not really a compass because that should have 4,8 or 16 staves. But I couldn't think of another word to describe that type of design. I can't call it a rune wheel as that means something entirely different, and I didn't want to make up new words, they would just confuse things even more, so I opted to call them all versions of the compass. If you can come up with a better name I will gladly use it and reward you accordingly

Oh, forgot to mention. At the bottom of the Design Services page there is a button called 'Invoice me by Email'. If you click on that and choose a service it will generate an email with a link to the 2Checkout shopping cart where you can pay for the design service.
If you let me know the date of your appointment I will make sure to get the work done in good time.

I can understand why you would want north pointing towards your index finger.

However with runes, especially permamentl;y tattooed ones, it is better to be safe than sorry.

I am planning that one for my left calf

Email  

Who says the gods point of veiw is differnt than your own. I would think the gods would be able to read it no matter the placement. I am sorry but I really don't think there are "rules" for this type of thing. The gods kinda do whatever they want anyways right?

Email  

Well that depends on your concept of the gods, doesn't it? If you believe the gods only exist in your own mind then "they" would obviously see things through your eyes. If you think the gods exist as entities somewhere such as on another plane of existence then they would see you externally as would any other observer. Or not?
It's a matter of opinion and belief so perhaps the best answer is "make up your own mind about placement and configuration". But if I had been asked to compile this design for the lady (which I was not) I would have done it to be read from the observer's point of view.

I have recently taken an interest in my Norwegian heritage and I saw the Vegvísir symbol on the internet and found it extremely interesting. I am just wondering if there is a book (in English of course) or a website that will allow me to research this material further?

Email  

My first step in early research is the internet. Googling any word or phrase will throw up thousands of relevent pages including wikipedia.org. Wikipedia is not always the most accurate of websites but it's as good a starting point as any.
For the Vegvisir you will find a basic but reliable article on its archaeology from which you will learn that the modern magical design is derived from an ancient but sophisticated meteorological instrument. There are links to a number of relevant sites including one of my favourites www.sunnyway.com/runes.

Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Web Calendars   Counters & Site Stats   Free Guestbooks   Free Web Tools 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com

The Runes Forum is supported by these Runemaker Group websites:
runemaker.com   runes.info   rune-tattoos.com   celtic-runes.org.uk   rune-fonts.co.uk   ancient-runes.co.uk   boboswald.com