Kids@Crownflats Forum

Welcome to the

KACF Forum 2011

Kids@Crownflats Forum

Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Michael Munn

Hi Michael. I have heard your name mentioned three times this weekend. On Sky News yesterday they were reviewing the papers and mentioned that you had brought out a book on David Niven. We bought the paper (the Times no less) and there was a big spread in there. Also this morning Mick was listening to Steve Allen on LBC and he mentioned it as well, although he wasn't very complimentary as he felt you should leave sleeping dogs lie. Anyway well done. Is the book out yet?

Love Wendy

Re: Michael Munn

Well I'm only a year late answering this, Wendy. You see, I changed my internet server, my email address, lost all my contact details blah blah blah! Finally found my way back here.

Yep, the book was published last June and has done well and is now out in paperback. It even got some good reviews. The Mail on Sunday described it as an "affectionate biography" which is what I intended.

Interesting that Steve Allen on LBC wasn't complimentary and thought I should let sleeping dogs lie. He hadn't read the book when he broadcast that. If he had read it, he would have known that David Niven told me he wanted me to write his biography. The trouble is, everyone at the time, including one of Niven's sons, was basing their opinions on the extracts in The Sunday Times which were just the most sensational parts of the book. The meda is very hypocritical. It wants the dirt dished but it wants to appear above it all.

I have a new book out in about a month, "Steve McQueen: Living on the Edge." It's my 25th book. Not bad going for a working class kid who failed all his exams.

Hi Michael
It might have taken a year but it is still nice to hear from you. Glad you are still writing. I have recently been in touch with Derek Archer because we are both doing our family trees. As you know he used to visit the flats to see nan and grandad. He sends his regards to your mum.
Best wishes
Wendy

I will certainly pass that onto my mum, Wendy. How is the geneology? I think it's a fantastic thing to do. I had a go at it years ago but that was before the internet and it was really difficult so I didn't get far. I assume the internet makes it easier. Would love to hear how you are getting on with it.