Kids@Crownflats Forum

Welcome to the

KACF Forum 2011

Kids@Crownflats Forum

Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Chandlers of Redhill Street

My mother's family - Chandler - lived the early part of the 20th century around the Redhill Street area. Do any of your family members remember them? I loved to know as a cousin of mine is putting together a family history and would like any information - she has recently met up with a 93-year-old 2nd cousin who remembers the Kankas sharing a house with our Granddad.

Look forward to hearing from you and thanking you in anticipation.

Chappers

Re: Chandlers of Redhill Street

Beast of luck Chappers. Last year I tried to trace the Cavell side of my family thhrough Genes reunited and managed to get in contact with a fellow who has traced the family for an old lady of 93 called Cavell still lioving in Walmer. He sent me the family history and I found my great grandmother so I know it was the right one and it went right back to the 15century !! It would appear that I am related to Dame Edith Cavell who was a cousin of my maternal great-grandmother. I hope you have as much luck as I have.

Chappers
My mother's family - Chandler - lived the early part of the 20th century around the Redhill Street area. Do any of your family members remember them? I loved to know as a cousin of mine is putting together a family history and would like any information - she has recently met up with a 93-year-old 2nd cousin who remembers the Kankas sharing a house with our Granddad.

Look forward to hearing from you and thanking you in anticipation.

Chappers

Hello Chappers,

Just checking to see if message is still active.

From one of the kankas!

Hi there which Jim are you?

Chappers

Thought there was only one Jim in this Kanka family.
Must be the wrong Kanka's.
Are you referring to a name spelt Kankas or Kanka?

Not sure how you spell your name, but I'm a Chappers who is a relative of the Chandlers!

Hi Chappers,
As I did not live in the Crown Estate I do not know your name only your logon “Chappers”. My cousin lived in Windsor house, grandma did move on to the estate in her later years. I posted the group photos outside the British Queen, Cumberland Market and map.
To find out more you could try searching the 1911 census for “Chandler” or “Kanka” this should show whether they occupied the same house. If you find out anything on your research which also relates to “Kanka” it would be much appreciated if you could leave a message.
Asking around the family only my sister remembered a "Shirley Chandler" who was at school with her, is she related to you?
Cheers,
Jim.

Yes she was related to me. She had two brothers - Albert who was around her age who died sometime ago (I think he was in his 40's) and Christopher who was younger (the mistake of the family). Shirley had a son (outside marriage) David, who was if I remember correctly was the same age as Christopher. Shirley's mum and dad - my aunt and uncle - lived in Silverdale.

A cousin of mine Pat Johnson nee Lester maybe known to your sister. We are still in contact.

I'll look up the census of 1911. I have looked at it before but only to do with my dad - Chapman - hence me being referred as Chappers!

I never lived in the Crown Flats but had many friends who lived there and we are still in touch. Had one staying with me two weeks ago.

Your surname rings a bell with me but I'm not sure of the various spellings to which you refer.

Let you know any answers I come up with.

Cheers Chappers

Yes, my sister Betty did remember a Pat Lester of Clarence Gardens, she thought was younger than her. As regards the name it was originally spelt Kanka with ̌ over the “n” (in this editor I can’t add character) the English spelling has the ̌ removed. Hope this helps.
Cheers
Jim.

I should be talking to Pat during the next few days I'll mention Betty's name. - not sure if she will remember - she doesn't remember things to well. Pat married Brian Johnson both went to "Mary Maggots" and he lived in Munster Square.

Chappers