Kids@Crownflats Forum

Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cumberland Market Bomb Sites

Hi,

I like your new improved site, enjoyed looking at new pics of Cumberland
although I know the site is for kids of the Crownflats (I lived in Albany st
and later the other side of the market) . Its nice to be reminded what the area looked like. I'm sure there are a lot photo's out there shouting to be released from their albums and be put on your site !

By the way the pic of the guy with arrow standing in Cumberland Market was my father (Charlie Kanka) who is also the boy looking at his sister in the other photo.

Does anybody have any pics of the bomb sites or were just old ruins (I'm not sure ) .I would love to see the areas I played in. You might be interested in the attached text file, I’m not sure if you already
have the info ?

Regards

Jim.

Re: Cumberland Market Bomb Sites

Here is a copy of the information Jim sent in:

Haymarket Removal Bill.

A Message was brought from the House of Commons, by Sir Alexander Grant and others;
With a Bill, intituled, "An Act for removing the Market at present held for the Sale of Hay and Straw from the Haymarket, and for establishing Markets for the Sale of Hay, Straw and other Articles in York Square, Clarence Gardens, and Cumberland Market, in the Parish of Saint Pancras, in the County of Middlesex;" to which they desire the Concurrence of this House.
The said Bill was read the First Time.
Ordered, That the said Bill be printed.

From: 'House of Lords Journal Volume 62: 8 April 1830', Journal of the House of Lords: volume 62: 1830, pp. 206-13.

www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=16333&strquery=Cumberland%20Market. Date accessed: 18 May 2005.

Bill passed------ House of Lords Journal Volume 62 3 May 1830

Hey Jim,
Would you be related to Charlie Kanka? I remember spending many an enjoyable Sunday evening with Charlie at Ken Colliers jazz club, back in the early 60's
Vic Riley

Hi Vic,

Yep, brother Charlie is still live and kicking in
Hertford.

Regards

Jim

Well lads is that 3 Tickets to the ‘alive & kicking’ Bash in October then?
Bout time you ‘popped’ home Vic to see the family and all these new long lost friends you’ve found.

We could always rename it to “The Vic & Charlie are ‘alive & kicking’ Bash”

Only kidding folks
However, Joe Bloggs IS ‘alive & kicking’ at
www.crownflats.co.uk