Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Thoughts on Possible Next Lupron Shot

I am interested in any input any survivor might have, and I completely understand the varying views on the subject of when to restart Lupron during intermittent treatment. History is; treated with surgery and radiation in 2005, reached a .2 nadir in about 18-24 months, 16-17 years later started Lupron with a PSA of 5. I have now had 3 shots I think, the 3 month version and they last 6 months before T goes over 50. Doctors use T rather than PSA as the trigger. My T is now at 400 and PSA is 0.5. I have been undetectable after each shot for 6 months, but then climb to 0.5-the highest its been when not taking the 3 month shot. The last year Sept to Sept, numbers were 0.5, <0.1, 0.1, <0.1, 0.5--so no doubling time during that one year period at least. My question, after the rambling, is---should I wait until I hit the 4.0 psa (which is a random number I see on some reputalbe sites as an arbitray Lupron restart level)? I get next PSA and T check in early January and will no doubt, based on the high T, be recommended to have shot. I always thought the trigger would be PSA, but my health provider uses T-anything over 50 means treatment to them. Hope this note is somewhat clear and appreciate any thoughts on the matter.

Take Care,

Allen Z

Re: Thoughts on Possible Next Lupron Shot

Allen:
You may be interested in my experience. My Dr. placed me on Xtandi after trying a few other drugs which were ineffective in the long run.
In time we agreed on Extandi which has kept my PSA in check at.04 for 6 plus years to date. There are side effects to be sure but tolerable in my opinion. It's also very expensive.
Best wishes Don O.

Re: Thoughts on Possible Next Lupron Shot

Don thanks for the feedback and I appreciate your insight and faithfulness to this site.

Take Care,

Allen Z

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS