Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment

An early entry to my journal for your review and comment:
While awaiting treatment for prostate cancer, time is your enemy; a quality of life, if not, life threatening enemy to be sure. The following factors come into play:

---Relationship of PSA to treatment outcome. A medical study conducted in April of 2002 by James Metz M.D. contains a chart which shows a clear relationship between PSA level and prostate cancer cure. Higher PSA scores are directly related to lower cure rates. As readers of this journal know my PSA levels are rising at a fairly rapid pace.

---Cancer cell development: As I understand it cancer cells reproduce along the following lines: A single cell materializes, this cell divides into two cancer cells which in turn divides into four, four into eight, eight into sixteen and so on. The larger your tumor, the faster it grows and the more difficult it is to treat.

---Metastasis: the longer your prostate cancer goes untreated, the greater the chance it will spread to other organs of your body. When and if this occurs you enter into an entirely different medical realm.

The worries and concerns associated with a delay in treatment tend to be offset by the fact that prostate cancer generally develops slowly. On the other hand your case might be the exception. It's not unlike having a timebomb strapped to your waist and not knowing when it may detonate. A friend of mine likened it to having a monster in your closet. In any event the tests scheduled this week here in Jacksonville are designed in part to determine whether the cancer remains contained to my prostate.

Re: New Topic

One thing, PCa metastases are more related to your Gleason score. Gleason 6 almost never goes metastatic, while 8,9, and 10s often do. If you are one those, the longer you have PCa, the better the chance your cancer will mutate into something more aggressive.
I have been on this road for 9 years now and my first major change came earlier this year. I became castrate resistant, as you know my cancer mutated so the first line ADT drugs were no longer effective.

Re: New Topic

Frank:
Sorry to hear about the recent development in your fairly lengthy battle with PCa.
It's just a matter of time for way too many of us.
Don O.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS