Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
THAT FIRST BIT OF BAD NEWS

On May 22, 2022, I first received the bad news from my 2nd biopsy in 4 years. It involved 2 core samples as follows:
Sample 1
- PROSTATIC ADENOCARCINOMA, GLEASON SCORE 3+4=7
(GRADE GROUP 2) INVOLVING LESS THAN 5% OF THE
TISSUE IN 1 OF 1 NEEDLE CORE(S).
- LENGTH OF CANCER IS 0.7 mm.
- PERCENTAGE OF PATTERN 4 = 10
Sample 2
- PROSTATIC ADENOCARCINOMA, GLEASON SCORE 3+4=7
(GRADE GROUP 2) INVOLVING 15% OF THE TISSUE IN 1
OF 1 NEEDLE CORE(S).
- LENGTH OF CANCER IS 2 mm (DIS-CONTINUOUS).
- PERCENTAGE OF PATTERN 4 = 10

I am now awaiting OncotypeDx results from the lab to initiate my first visit to an Oncologist.

My PSA score doubled in the past year from 3.6 to 8. And my 4k was 64%. It (4k) did drop to 47% 3 months later.

I am 70 years old and otherwise in good health. I am about 40 lbs overweight. (211 lbs. and 5' 8.5") with a bit of plaque (Heart Disease of 169 on a recent CT Calcium scan).

I would love to hear from you. Some say watchful waiting others, surgery, etc. etc. I am studying all my options and treatment developments. Any comments would be very appreciated. Thanks for reading. Carlos

Re: THAT FIRST BIT OF BAD NEWS

You are confronted with a very difficult quality of life decision. The major themes of your YANA entry appear to be as follows:
--You have a fairly low Gleason Score
--You have a worrisome doubling time
--You are reviewing all your treatment options
As you proceed with your decision process I recommend you get a second opinion on your Gleason Score. I often see Mayo Clinic as the place to go for this service.
There are precious few of us PCa Warriors who will recommend which treatment best suits you and your diagnosis. Your statement that you are reviewing all your options suggests you are on the right track.
Here's wishing you the best.. Please keep us posted.
Don O.

Thank you Don. By second opinions do you mean additional biopsies? Is that the only way we can accurately determine a second Gleason determination?

Carlos
Second opinion means sending the results of your biopsy to another facility for their analysis. The way I worded it is typical for us old-timers. If you are still unsure let me (and other viewers) know. I hope this clarifies the matter for you and you follow through. We will assist in any way we can.
Don

Don,
Thank you for the clarification! I will ask my U to get this done.

I certainly do hope to become an old-timer and appreciate the insight.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS