Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New to Prostate Cancer

I count myself a very lucky man. At 57, am fit, active, do not carry excess weight, never smoked and drink occasionally in moderation.

In November I did a regular annual check up. I very casually requested my GP to include a PSA test (Highly recommend it).My PSA came in a 5.6 - this was up from 2.3 almost 16 months prior. The alarm bells went off. MY GP refered my to a Urologist who could only see me 7 weeks out. This was not good enough, working witg my GP we managed to get me into a Urologist 2 days later. I really did not like the idea of a DRE but bit my lip and seen it through. The Urologist confirmed that he could feels nodules. This news was upsetting but I could handle it. What followed was way more difficult, I needed to either keep it from my family and deal with it until it was confirmed or be honest and break the news. I was able to discuss it with my wife but I was not ready to tell my 3 kids. At that stage I was ready to deal with having Cancer but I was not ready to ready to tell my kids, especially not my daughter. Telling my kids was the hardest thing I had to do. A MRI followed two weeks later a PET scan another 2 weeks later and then my biopsy. The waiting game was unbearable with Covid spreading fast. The stress was visible in my wife, she was not eating and losing weight. The first biopsy done anther week later included 2 samples. The results came back, two days later. We were all anxious, waiting to hear my Gleason score and finding out the stage of my cancer. I was confirmed as a Gleason 6 possibly a 7 at stage T2a possibly T2c. The surgeon was concerned that the Biopsy was not showing the same results as the MRI and PET scan. My wife, a very smart lady joined me in the surgeon's room to discuss my treatment after the surgeon discussed my results at a round table another which was another 2 weeks later. After hearing from the surgeon regarding various options including 'Active observation", my wife insisted on more Biopsies. A week later, 3 days to Christmas, I was back in theatre. This time feeling less anxious as I knew the drill. Two days later I got different news. Gleason 8 Stage 3a. Surgery was booked for the 19th of January 2022 as the surgeon would be on holiday until the 18th. Omnicron is rife in my area. We decided to approach another Top Surgeon, a University Professor. He was able see me on the 4th. He confirmed the diagnosis and jumped into action. I am booked in for a Radical Robotic Prostetectomy on the 1oth of January 2022. For the first time reality has hit me, I have Cancer. It is not curable, but treatable. As I count down the days to my surgery, going through more per-op tests, I am seeing my wife more stress than ever. I cannot show any weakness or that I am very concerned about what the future holds for us. I have to beat this in mind and in body, for me and my family. I cannot imagine having continence or sexual issues in the future. Two days after surgery I will turn 58. I am now 100% focus on beating Prostate Cancer and having a long healthy life. I know my journey has only started but F.... Cancer (Sorry, I never swear), I am a glass half full not a half empty guy. I will continue running long distance, Jetski, Skydive and Snowboard more aggressively and live a full life. I now want to learn what I need to do to achieve this cancer free and beat statistics. Life most certainly is a journey and I am in charge of it, not Cancer!

I would love to assist or just lend an ear to anyone starting this journey. You got this!

Re: New to Prostate Cancer

Hello Clive. I too was recently diagnosed. My biopsy came in at Gleason 3+4 on 2 of 12 samples. I am 70 years old and am active and otherwise pretty healthy. Slightly high LDL last blood work.

I am now awaiting Oncotype DX sampling before discussing treatment options with my Oncologist.

I was interested to know how you are? Did you do the full robotic removal?

How do you feel? What have the side effects been?

My prayers to you and your family. I hope that you are on the right path to control.

Carlos

Re: New to Prostate Cancer

Hello Clive. I too was recently diagnosed. My biopsy came in at Gleason 3+4 on 2 of 12 samples. I am 70 years old and am active and otherwise pretty healthy. Slightly high LDL last blood work.

I am now awaiting Oncotype DX sampling before discussing treatment options with my Oncologist.

I was interested to know how you are? Did you do the full robotic removal?

How do you feel? What have the side effects been?

My prayers to you and your family. I hope that you are on the right path to control.

Carlos

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS