Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Urinary Problems post brachytherapy

I searched for this topic in this forum but admittedly I probably don’t know how to do it properly. I am one month post brachytherapy 120 seeds implanted. I take two Flomax .4 at bedtime around 10 pm. I guess I totally underestimated the post brachytherapy symptoms but here is what I’m going through. I have the urge to pee almost every 30 minutes. Usually, I struggle and pee in Morse Code with way more dots than dashes. This goes on all day long. I think over four or five trips maybe I come close to emptying my bladder but I doubt it. I find the Flomax gives me some relief but far far from a normal flow ( which I had before the procedure) from about 8am until 1 pm then it’s back to the same routine all day and all night. I am exhausted from the lack of sleep, exhausted from the frequent non productive trips to the bathroom. I have read perhaps these symptoms could last a year. Please tell me no. Thanks in advance for any help of stories out there.

Re: Urinary Problems post brachytherapy

Hi Ted,
After reading your story, your first port of call should be your urologist. Flomax can only do so much in improving the urinary stream. From what you have detailed most likely you have urinary retention, and/or stricture, and we can probably throw prostatitis into the mix as well, all of which require intervention from your urologist. I would seek a consultation as soon as possible.

John Bonneville

Re: Urinary Problems post brachytherapy

Hello. I am 5 years removed from Brachy. I can tell you what you are experiencing was normal for me. Worse yet is that it felt like I was urinating razor blades while urinating 30 times a day. I eventually got better in frequency, but it took months for the frequency and the pain was
15 months! Ask the urologist for Vesicare as it may help with the frequency. I was almost ready to give up in my situation, but the doc kept telling me it will get better. It eventually did. I still take the Vesicare and flowmax and I have had a steady psa at .2 for about a year and a half. Best I cam ask for. Finally my urologist told me to take the flowmax early in the evening late afternoon.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS