Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Developing a Plan to Ease Out When Push Comes To Shove

Mark, thank you for allowing this topic to remain on this website. Currently I am on intermittent hormone therapy (Lupron/Eligard). My journey of over 11 years consists of active surveillance, proton radiation, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, remission, reoccurrence, hormone therapy. It is only a matter of time until I move on to Xtandi or equivalent and then on to some form of palliative care. I live in North Carolina which allows no forms of recreation or medicinal marijuana or any of its derivatives. I really would like to learn about my options when indeed push comes to shove.

Hi Don,
I gather from the thread topic that you are thinking of a suitable strategy to deal with the final stages of PCa. Many years ago Terry and I had some discourse over that very subject. This was when Terry was into the Paget diet regime for curative purpose, if you recall, and he had no identifiable evidence of systemic mets. I guess it was a bit strange to be discussing such a topic, given we were both in relatively good shape at that time. Oddly enough we both came to the same conclusion, namely that a quick exit was preferable to a prolonged one. I actually went a step further and made provision for the procurement of the required substance for the short journey. If you recall, in the end Terry chose palliative care, which I understand served him well. In light of Terry's decision, and given his distain for conventional medicine, his choice did catch me by surprise. But I guess the point that I am trying to make is, that skilled palliation can make the final aspect of the PCa journey decidedly more tolerable.

Bit of an about face on my part I suspect, but any strategy whereupon we not longer have control is not the ideal in my opinion. Best wishes Don.

John Bonneville

Always good to hear from you John.
Yes indeed, I am developing a suitable strategy for coping with the final stages of PCa. I suspect a recent and very personal and very disturbing experience with a common palliative care medication (morphine) contributed to my search for an effective alternative. Without a great deal of thought, research and handwringing, marijuana occurred to me as a viable alternative. As usual I shared my thoughts with my fellow PCa Warriors.
Best wishes Don O.

Well Don after conversing with you over all these years, I was reasonably sure that your exit strategy would be well in place. I guess the most important element is to bring about a dignified death on your terms. When it comes to the crunch, some people embrace death, for others, fear is the overriding factor in the final part of their journey. But as we know a good many of us old PCa warriors have gone before us and through their stories, and of course your's, a lasting legacy has endured. I wonder what the next millennium of PCa warriors will think when they read all about Proton Don? Don't forget the final chapter of the blog Don! As always best wishes,

john bonneville

John:
There has been so many developments in the treatment of PCa my journal is fast becoming a historic relic. Even so my intent is to keep it going for as long as possible. Hopefully the final chapter will read "Easing On Out."
Best wishes to you and yours.
Don O.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS