This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer. There are only four rules:
No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making
Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.
Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.
A little bit of info for you. Your current doubling time is 3.42 years based on your 2015 reading (0.95) and 2020 (2.54). Are you absolutely certain that the 2015 reading of 0.95 was your lowest ever post treatment reading, leaving aside the first 6 months following your last Lucrin injection? Usually the lowest PSA reading occurs in about 12 to 24 moths following ADT plus EBRT. Most unusual for your lowest reading (Nada) to occur 9 years following treatment.
Biochemical recurrence following EBRT, which I think we are both on the path to, occurs at 2.0 ng/ml plus your nada, which in your case would be 2.95. Given the amount of time we have both had post treatment (Rx), we have both done very well indeed. PCa will always come back, we just need to live long enough for that to happen. The longer it takes to return, the better the outcome usually.
So what to do? Terry and I whilst good mates did have differing perspectives on treating PCa, which is well documented on here, so no need to go into that all again. But the position that we now find ourselves in (you are a bit ahead of me Bob) gives rise to the need for some considered thought. What to do? Do I really want to know if it is back? Do I have any co-morbidity? And a three and a half year doubling time is hardly a tiger, more like a pussy cat.
Back then it was a easy decision to get treated for both of us, given our gleason scores and PSA levels. Simple choice really, get treated or die. Now over a decade later and with advancing years (I am also in my 70th year), treatment choices, if any, are a tad more complex. I understand where you are coming from re choosing to adopt Terry's strategy, whilst your doubling time and velocity remain static.I am not surprised re your bone scan result Bob. In all likelihood a recurrence in both of us, given the time post Rx, would most likely be localised.
When I reach the biochemical recurrence threshold, in about 5 years time at my current rate of increase, I do intend to confirm the tumor grading/staging. A bit academic I know, but hey that is me. At that time, if a localised recurrence, brachytherapy would probably be considered.
So there you go Bob, hopefully some useful info among the waffle.
My numbers are right, PSA went down very slowly, before slowly heading back up.
When my journey began information on PC was not so easy to find and doctors opinion was always right.One internet site gave me a 75% chance of cure with the treatment I chose.Quality of life after treatment was a major factor in deciding the type of treatment.
Having joined the PROSTATE CANCER AWARENESS GROUP (promoting awareness of pc in Adelaide)in 2018
I have noticed very little attention is paid to the side effects on the quality of life after treatment. The same can be said for treatment after the return of PC.