Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A Gleason 9, PSA 36 giving update.

Thought I would take time today to update the Forum on my progress. I am 70, US Army (68-71) Disabled Veteran at 80%. I was diagnosed at VA in January with a highly aggressive Gleason 4+5 = 9, PSA 38. I elected to go with the Triple Play....HT, HDR, and EBERT. I was given a Eligard (HT) shot at VA on Feb. 14th. I am enrolled under VA Healthcare, but I opted for brachytherapy and that allowed me to get outside community care through UT Southwestern - a big improvement in cancer care over VA and one the top Urology Clinics in the country. On April 21st, I had HDR Brachy surgery. I was there for 12 hours, 7 of those in recovery as I could not pass urine until the 12th hour. I have since been home taking it easy. My PSA is now 1.84, and testosterone level 4.6. I go back to UTSW for three appointment on the 30th, MRI and buttock molding for EBERT will be done. Markings were done during HDR. I should begin EBERT treatments by May 4. I was totally out for the entire HDR process, The worse part for me at the Hospital was getting a catheter again and not being under.......very painful. Worse side effects at home were burning while urinating for the first 3 days, but I am much better today and nearly pain-free now. As for my bottom, still black and blue but not as sore now. I am glad I went with the Triple Play despite some side effects. HT has not been that bad on me so far........had sweats for about a week and some increased itching, and occasional mood swings. Today, is the first day I felt up to posting. UTSW has given me wonderful care. Grateful to be under their watch.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS