Prostate Cancer Survivors






This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

  • No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Blood clots

Hello and best wishes to all. Has anyone experienced blood clots in urine post prostatectomy? This occurred 3 days after the catheter was removed. They were quite large and caused blockages here and there that eventually passed. Now I get smaller clots that are subsiding. Its been a month since my surgery. I had to have a blood transfusion which may be the culprit. I don't know if less activity or more activity is helping. The surgeon said that it is part of the healing process. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Best Regards,


Re: Blood clots

I also experienced problems with blood clots after surgery. The catheter was in for 7 days after surgery, and during that time, small clots came through the tube. After the catheter came out, clots continued, and 3 days later I experienced a blockage and couldn't pee. I was told to go to the emergency room, where they put in a new catheter which got everything flowing again. However, even with the new catheter, 2 days after that I was blocked up again, and back in the emergency room being irrigated. There were a lot of clots, some were as big as ants. That second catheter stayed in for two more days, and then the urologist removed it -- and everything has been fine since.

The urologist/surgeon said that I probably had a large scab develop inside my urethra after it was put back together, and the clots were the pieces of it working their way out. He said he sees this about once every 3 or 4 years (and he's done 100's and 100's of robotic prostatectomies).

The experience was very anxiety producing, especially seeing blood and clots in my urine and having to be awake for a new catheter to be put in. But, thankfully, it is all past me now!