Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Reoccurrence, 16 mth doubling, - what would you do?

http://www.yananow.org/display_story.php?id=1484

I am unsure of my treatment options, “localized cancer” has come back, more radiation not an option, surgery is being offered but with urinary and other damage a certainty due to difficulty of surgery after radiation. scans show not mets and the psa is presently 2.2 with a 16 mth doubling time.
I hear differing views on when to start ADT hormones, should i go that route?

Thanks all

Re: Reoccurrence, 16 mth doubling, - what would you do?

Hi Matt,
I'm sorry to hear that your cancer seems to be no longer in remission and you are asking if and when you should begin ADT. With a PSA of 2.2 and a doubling time of 16 months, I think you still have some time to take a few deep breaths and catch a few more waves off the coast. My feelings are that you can continue to focus on your "quality of life" until your PSA is double digits (>10). With your numbers, that should be in the 3-3.5 year range. Of course you should monitor your PSA quarterly to insure the doubling time doesn't decrease. You may hear a lot of folks bad-mouthing ADT (Lupron) but be aware it affects some guys more than others. I read your survivor story and think you might have a good toleration for the treatment. Keeping "fit" seems to play a big in your life. The important thing to focus on while on ADT is "diet and exercise." While I am about 16 years older than you, I still make time to go to the gym at least 3-4 times a week and eat a healthy diet and never gain a kg. Yes, I do have complete ED while on Lupron, but having a zero libido makes having ED irrelevant. If/when you start ADT you should be aware that ADT over time will result in your cancer being "castration resistant" (not reacting to the ADT) generally after 2-3 years. I think as long as your doubling time stays around 16 months, you might expect a good quality of life for 5-6 more years when I expect prostate cancer treatments/cures will be vastly improved. I wish you well.

Re: Reoccurrence, 16 mth doubling, - what would you do?

Thanks Joe, I am going to watch and wait for now, PSMA PET scan has been ordered but wait times in Canada 3- 6mths. Results will prove if cancer is still localized or perhaps spa rise is due to spread?

Meanwhile continue with exercise (resistance training, surfing, paddle boarding, swimming), eat zero-low dairy, low meat. More fish, more greens, only supplements are VD3+K2, B12, Theracurmin.
Maybe add button mushroom powder, aspirin, maybe CBD oil? see if I can reduce or hold the doubling time! meanwhile enjoy life!

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS