Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
new Medicare rule

This time of the year I am usually updating my story with results of my latest Physical. That won't happen this year due mostly to my own stubbornness and disappointment over the recent changes Medicare made concerning this yearly preventive measure. I am told Medicare requires you to go for a "wellness check" that now qualifies as their yearly free physical. It includes only the basic checks that one can actually do at home like blood pressure, and review to see if your mind is still working, fall risk, etc. Pretty much what the doctor's nurse did before he gave you the physical. NO BLOOD TESTS are done. If you want to get a real physical, you need to make another appointment with your doctor. Blood tests for physicals are expensive and you may be on the hook for the expense. Sounds like Medicare saving money at our expense and well being. We have already paid for this "free" yearly physical through our monthly premiums and now we are being denied that. Hope this gives some a heads up on what to expect. Jon.

Re: new Medicare rule

I am a little surprised this hasn't been corrected on here by now but as the one who put it on here in the first place, I will clear it up some right now.
I did some research into this policy that had me so upset and found some confusion on the part of my local health care system. I wrote to Medicare to get the truth and then to my local healthcare system to clarify and correct. This annual "wellness check" is NOT a requirement but an option. It is paid for through Medicare if you choose to have it done. Medicare does not pay for an annual physical BUT, most supplemental insurances do provide a yearly physical. The wellness check need not be done to still have your yearly physical if your policy is the type that covers it.

I am sorry for any confusion my previous post may have caused. My encounter with my local, misinformed health care system sure caused me some confusion. I hope this clears up any confusion I caused by that post! Wish I could erase it. Jon.

Re: new Medicare rule

I am really glad I said yes when asked if I wanted this check-up. The PA noticed a strange uptick in my PSA and no follow up for a few years. So he sent me for a blood test. I had it done at about 1 pm. At 5 pm the PA called to give me the results. 101.5! He already made an appointment with a urologist.
Oh ya, the diagnosis, "very aggressive prostate cancer".

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS