Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: New Topic

Jon,
I think the reason UFPTI said they don't do many high risk is simply because there are many more low and intermediate risk cases. I was at UFPTI for about three months getting proton therapy and probably got to know 50-75 other patients. (We played golf and went to dinners together.) A great group of guys. But no one other than me was high risk. No one else I knew had any other problems during therapy than me.

I'm not sure where Don got his 99% number, as I remember from my monthly UFPTI newsletters alums receive,
they're were claiming about 90% non- BCF after 5 years for low/intermediate PCa. I do go to my local monthly UsToo meetings for PCa survivors. In 6 years of meetings there has never been another person who had protons. (If I ask them if the ever considered protons, they said "No" because their urologist didn't recommend it, DUH!!) At these meetings, 90% are these "get it out" guys who have had radical prostatectomies (most are robotic). They are smile say they are happy to be alive even if they use 2-3 pads a day and haven't had sex since Clinton was president. No Thanks. Until I had to go on Lupron a couple of years ago, I had no ED or urinary issues. Life was good and the envy at my UsToo meetings. I did have some runny bowel issues years ago, but I believe that was a direct result of the chemo. No one else had any problems while I was there.

One more thought, I live in a community where most folks are on Medicare and I know 3 neighbors that are PCa survivors. All three had radical prostatectomies (two open, one robotic). One is "OK" (complete ED of course). Of the other, one is in BCF but holding out on ADT, the other is Stage 4 CR Metastatic PCa and has just finished chemo-he tells me some days he can't get out of bed. Surgery has its risks too.

Joe:
Just for the record I was treated in 2009.So we were talking about a three year period not 12 years.
You can rerun the numbers if you wish.
The point is I was one of the precious few whose PBRT was unsuccessful.
Don

Hello Don

G'day Don and it has been quite a while since we last had a chat. I do think of you every now and then and check your blogspot to see what is happening with you. Sad to read of your current dilemma re treatment options. Still you know the drill only to well, so no unexpected surprises on the horizon. I think we have both have had interesting journeys over the last decade or so and I fondly remember the discourse all of us (RIP Terry) used to have on here in the old days. My best wishes to you Don.

Cheerio John Bonneville

p.s. My PCa has still not progressed, albeit eleven years plus post treatment. Might get to better Terry's innings yet!

Re: Hello Don

Hey John:
Just now saw your note otherwise I would have responded much sooner. I've often wondered how you are doing.
Good to learn there has been no progression in your PCa. That's about as good as it gets these days.
What a pleasant surprise to hear from you. I miss your contribution to the YANA cause.
Best wishes Don O.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS