Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
MR TRUS

I am 67 years old and I have had my PSA monitored for about 20 years. I have had two biopsies over the space of about 10 years and they have always been negative. However, my PSA continues to be on the high side so I was advised that I should get an MRI.
The MRI results have PI-RADS ratings from 1 to 5 with 1 being a low chance of cancer and 5 a Very High chance of cancer.

My results indicate that in two areas at the front of my prostate I have a 4 and a 5 rating..not what I had expected. It was only on a return visit to my urologist did I learn that the previous biopsies did not reach to the front of my prostate, which I now understand is just the case with that procedure.

I have now been refereed to a procedure I believe called an MRI TRUS where they use the MRI results and Ultrasound to pinpoint the exact location in the prostate, and send the biopsy needles in there to get the results form the precise area in the prostate.

Of course the word cancer freaks me out in spit of all that I have read, especially with scores of 4 and 5. The wait for the next procedure may be two months or more.

My question is..will this wait negatively affect my chances of getting this sucker cured, or are two or three months at this stage no big deal

Thanks all.

Re: MR TRUS

Ted:
In the absence of any other, more authoritative responses, I will provide a few (layman's) thoughts for your consideration:
--You may or may not have PCa so it's a bit early to talk in terms of a cure
--One factor you did not mention is how quickly your PSA is rising. A doubling time of less than a year is more worrisome than a more rapid ascension
--I fully understand your concern having personally grappled with PCa for far too many years
--While you wait to know the outcome of your tests, spend your time wisely. If you have not already done so, begin your research effort to determine what treatment options you might wish to consider.
Best wises Don O.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS