Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Gynacomestia

Thanks Don! Your info is very helpful. This is something that many will face as time passes. Even ageing has an effect on this as our hormone levels drop. It is just another subject not many care to elaborate on but as you said, can have an effect on life and self image. We men find breasts very attractive, but NOT on us. Your recount of questions and answers about this treatment is very helpful and informative. It shows good foresight.

Also thanks for reviving the forum. I check it daily but it has been very quiet for the last month. It is a very helpful feature of this site and can be full of valuable info and help for many. Thanks again, Jon.

Don,
I noticed that the RO said "We use only electrons which enables us to control the depth of penetration."
Since I don't believe you can "control" the depth of common radiation (photon), can I assume you had Proton radiation for your treatment?

Joe:
Most definitely photon and I am very familiar with proton which was my initial form of treatment.
Don

O.K. guys, I am now officially confused. Was it PHOton or PROton? Which one controls the depth of penetration? It would be good to know for sure if some of us decide to have that treatment. Jon.

Here is a quote from one of my earliest journal entries.
"Healthy cells tolerate the destructive force of radiation better than cancer cells. Therein lies the effectiveness of radiation for treating cancer. One characteristic of a proton beam is known as the Bragg Peak. As described in an article by James Metz M.D. "...the absorbed dose of a proton beam increases very gradually with increasing depth and then suddenly rises to a peak at the end of the proton range." The energy level beyond the Bragg Peak is relatively negligible. Another important characteristic of a proton beam is it can be manipulated to deliver optimal levels of energy to precise locations within the target area. In layman's terms cancer cells can be nullified with pinpoint accuracy. By way of contrast an xray beam, the more common form of radiation, tends to deliver equal amounts of energy from the entry level through the target volume to the point of exit. These differences in radiation characteristics translate into less collateral damage from proton beam radiation. Herein lies the proton advantage."
When advised by my RO that he could limit the depth of the photon radiation by using only electrons to treat my gynacomestia I accepted his professional assurance.
Joe and Jon:In response to your posts I Googled "Electron Therapy" with the following result: "Electron therapy or electron beam therapy is a kind of external beam radiotherapy where electrons are directed to a tumor site."
I'll leave it to someone else to research these topics more thoroughly if so inclined.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS