Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Urgency of Treatment

Gonzo; I am prone to guess that time had very little to do with your Gleason findings. The initial biopsy simply didn't sample the more serious area of cancer. Time does effect cancer spread however. About thirty percent of Gleasons are upgraded after examination of the gland post op. This is not a "luxury" one gets from treatments that do not remove the gland for examination. My opinion is that a Gleason of six gives an option of some wriggle room, a Gleason seven should be taken seriously, and anything over that needs prompt attention. Different areas of cancer "infestation" in the gland can have differing Gleason values. Earlier treatment for you very well might have come up at a Gleason of nine also and sorry to say that earlier treatment might have been beneficial in your case due to the accelerated spread rate of a Gleason nine cancer. Done is done however and crying over spilled milk and remorse over what was done or not done is not helpful. Don't fall into that trap as there is nothing you can change at this point anyway. Best to move on and, like most of us, hope for the best results. Think of it this way, after removal, a Gleason nine is no more serious than any other Gleason as long as it has all been removed. I hope that is the case for you. Jon R.

Re: Urgency of Treatment

Gonzo:
As you know your initial Gleason score was based on a sample. When the entire gland is examined post surgery the Gleason score is often different, and I suspect in most if not all cases more accurate. None of us will ever know whether or not had your treatment been provided at an earlier date whether your Gleason outcome would have been determined to be at a lower number.
The fact that the VA did not provide you treatment in a more timely manner is most regrettable. SHAME ON THE VA! Do your best to put "what might have been" to rest and focus on the here and now and on what the future holds.
Best wishes Don O.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS