Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Prazosin / B.P. drug / shows curative effect in retrospective study.

Link here
https://www.ics.org/2018/abstract/527
Or search Prazosin / Prostate Cancer / Radiotherapy

RESULTS
The number of prostate cancer patients who experienced biochemical relapse at both the two and five-year points was significantly lower in the prazosin group (2.7%, 8.8%; p<0.01) when compared to the control (22.6%, 34.5%) and tamsulosin (15.2%, 25.0%) groups.

Other studies on the specific anti-cancer effects of Prazosin (a generic blood pressure treatment drug) can be found on the internet going back over a decade, I don't have the background to understand them.

I've been cautioned a retrospective study can be flawed, but at face value , these results are amazing. I want to be on the green Prazosin line on the graph in the link above, though I have not had radiation.

kanzan / USA

Re: Prazosin / B.P. drug / shows curative effect in retrospective study.

This sounds interesting enough to look into and has my attention. Anything that might help prevent recurrences is worth the effort to check out. As usual however one has to enter cautiously. Those of us on blood pressure meds and also having had P.C. are of course all ears. Any drug has side effects and this one is no different I would guess. Still, I would ask questions about it to both fields of expertise, cardiac and prostate cancer, before moving forward with it just to see if it matched both treatment parameters while not causing unforeseen problems. From the little "lay" reading I did, it appears to have some positive effect on E.D. issues but also says it relaxes muscles in the urinary system to relive BPH symptoms. Not so sure that is what someone having had a prostatectomy would want, thinking it might have a negative effect on continence. (I have an acquaintance on extensive B.P. meds - don't know if it is this one - that has had SERIOUS continence problems - like wearing diapers - from his meds even though he still has a prostate.) Anyway, thanks for bringing this up, it is worth checking out but go carefully my friends. Jon R.

Jon:
Please share your findings with all of us.
Don O.

Don; I can't say I have a lot of info here but I did look up "prazosin and prostate cancer" on the web and found some info. It dialates blood vessels like many blood pressure meds do which explains why it is said to have some positive effect on ED. We all know about that I think. It has been used for blood pressure and also urologic issues like BPH. Doesn't sound like its purpose was ever for any sort of cancer control but that is "claimed" to be a side effect of using it according to studies comparing groups using it and other drugs for the same purpose. The incidence of recurring prostate cancer being much less in the group on this drug than a group using another or none at all. What caught my attention as a survivor with all the usual concerns and issues is that it works to relieve BPH by relaxing the control muscles that control urination in order to improve flow. That sounds counterproductive to me in our situation. My next contact with any medical professionals will include some questions about this as a cardiac survivor and a cancer survivor. It would be nice to have a drug that controls blood pressure and as a side effect, also PREVENTS recurrent cancer. Kind of a two-for one. Finding the right blood pressure medicine is a puzzle and once an agreeable one is found, I am hesitant to experiment without very good reason which is why I say go slowly. Jon.

Thanks Jon. That saves me some research time.
Regards Don

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS