Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Clinically zero PSA score post-prostatectomy

Post surgery PSA score result questions....my first score was 0.04, then dropped to 0.03, then is up to 0.05 with the third post-surgery test. Is it normal for this score to bounce around from test to test? Dr. said the test is unable to measure to absolute zero. I hear there is tissue in the body that can cause minor PSA scores.
If this goes above 0.05 I'm going to start getting nervous...

Re: Clinically zero PSA score post-prostatectomy

Bill, Don't over analyze things at this point. I have also heard there are other sources of PSA in the body and that even some women can have traces so don't get worried till circumstances merit it. Your PSA is very low - (even at .05) so don't panic. PSA tests are a good indicator but are just that and not perfect. I have been told the urethra also produces a small amount of PSA and you still have that and it could be a source of changes as it adjusts to its new position. I know the concern of PSA testing after treatment as we all do. Honestly, I think it will always be there to haunt most of us and cause concern. It is hard to just blow it off and not be concerned. Dealing with this disease will always be a compromise as there are no good ways to know the seriousness of what we each are dealing with. Read on this site and you will see there are men dealing with what many would consider very serious conditions for many years and are survivors. Those of us, like you and myself included, do worry about our changing test results, naturally and wisely, but looking at the broader picture, we may be over reacting and just causing ourselves needless stress at this point. Jon R.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS