Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Deciding between radical prostatectomy and radiation

Rob: Congratulations on an excellent PSA six-months out! I had my prostate removed @ age 59 in mid-February 2018 and was completely continent by late May, so 3-1/2 months with a pad, though barely needed one after 3-months. Was in active surveillance for two years leading to the surgery. After a second (prostate specific) biopsy and confirmation that I did have grade 7 (PSA never worse than 6.5) I had the removal. Seconded-guessed surgery vs. radiation several times. Opted for what I felt was a better chance at a complete cure.

Had some nerve infiltration, so only had partial nerve sparing, but no other signs of a spread to lymph glands or outside the gland margins. Needless to say, I am completely impotent, at least this early on, but have pretty good orgasms even in the flaccid state...and dealing with some shortening after the rearrangement of plumbing. An OK trade-off vs. the terrible stress I was having leading up to the surgery. I had a clinical PSA of zero at the first test...very happy at this point.

I must be in the minority, judging from blogs, but I have completely rejected aftercare with the drugs etc...don't feel like dealing with the treatment or potential side effects. With a wife in menopause, and intercourse being painful, it's like what's the point and I'm not about to let her use Estrogen products with her family's history of cancer. We are still sexually active in other ways. I'm content the way things are and glad to be be six-feet above ground. I can see how many men, especially younger ones, can be frustrated by the functional changes.

I wish you continued improvement in your health and stability with that PSA.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS