Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Update and Finasteride

3 month PSA at 2.5, where it was a year ago and on/off over time (see my story if interested). For me, I am now ready to proclaim that Finasteride does have efficatious qualities related to depressing or reprsessing cancer progression-at least in the medium range of Gleason-I am a 7. I have experimented with taking it several months in advance and obtained the 50% reduction in PSA as predicted. I went off of it and PSA rose to previous lowers or a bit lower and maybe a bit higher, hard to state exactly. However, the last couple of years I only took it 2-3 weeks prior to PSA test and the result was good--either slow rise, no rise, or even a decrease. The medical proponents of Proscar (i.e, generic for Finasteride) state that any reduction in PSA for recurrent cancer takes on average 3-4 months to reduce the PSA by the advertised 50%--in my case I do not think it takes that long to be effective at some level. Those who are engaged in the controversy around this drug efficaciousness should check out the pros/cons on the web and in particular a fairly recent quality article based on studies at https://www.verywellhealth.com/avodart-proscar-for-treating-prostate-cancer-2782131. I am thinking that the "masking" results are likely, but only if the cancer is too aggressive to overcome the beneficial effects of the drug. I see no downside to trying it in the right setting; I have no side effects from it at all.

Take Care All,

Allen Z

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS