Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Itching

Just curious...my husband is 9 years out after robotic surgery. His numbers are very good and for the most part, other than aging, he feels well and is still very active (age 73.) However, a few years ago, he developed an itching problem.

He has been seen by his oncologist, several allergists, two dermatologists. There is no rash and all other internal organs test out as normal.Our primary care MD has run out of ideas.

We met one other prostate cancer survivor with this problem. He also has no answer as to where this is coming from or what is causing it.

The itching can be on his stomach, groin, shoulders, arms and is particularly apparent at night.
He's up 4-5 times most nights. We're both exhausted.

We have monitored foods, laundry detergents. Antihistamines, cortisone shots have had no affect.
Vaseline and skin sensitive lotions help keep him from braking the skin while scratching.

Has anyone else experienced this after prostate cancer treatment?

Re: Itching

Hello Marsha,

Yes, I have been experiencing much itching lately, from some different sources since I live in the country, but I recall last summer when some strange itches developed on my lower back, that were under the skin surface at the time, and invisible, and my dermatologist said he couldn't do anything with it because it was 'under the skin'. What? I never did understand that, but now it has come up and can be felt and scratched, but I'm thinking maybe another I should try another dermatologist. And there was a major itch area a few years ago that suddenly came up, a surface itch on my left chest extending up to the shoulder. And this occurred outside of the summer gardening period with no apparent cause or reason. My treatment was 10 years ago and I don't remember any serious itching immediately following it....

And I haven't followed up on it because here in the country everyone itches a lot because of chiggers and ticks and what is vaguely called 'allergies'. And I remember when my wife worked at a Dermatologist's office in Knoxville and she enlightened me regarding the numbers and kinds of allergies..... what a can of worms....... But I've never associated the itching with prostate cancer or any treatment thereof. Tell me more, I'm very curious. And I should include that I've never used any type of spray or preventative for these itching spells when I go out, considering it part of country living.

But, I'd like to hear more, as since I started this email I'm itching like crazy, the back thing near my belt, a left shoulder and left elbow itch, and I'm 80 years old and can't take it any longer......

Regards
charles coryn, lancing, tn. USA

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS