Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dribble/ sphincter control

Hello, treatment was RALP. Cathetar(s) in for total of 16 days. I had to get a 2nd cathetar after the first one blocked up with encrustations. Surgeon gave me advice to let the urine build up a little to get a strong flow going. I am able to do this, I usually sit in a position to help prevent the start of urine for awhile and then go empty after my bladder is fairly full. In between trips to bathroom, I still dribble when walking or mobile. I started Kegel excercises yesterday. My main question is to prevent or stop the dribbles while walking around: do I hold the Kegel flexes as long as I’m walking to prevent dribble or do I flex the sphincter and then release it. It is difficult to feel the dribbles until it is too late. If anyone has guidance on this please let me know.
THANK YOU!
John Ribera

Re: Dribble/ sphincter control

Had my surgery on April 25 and having the same issue with incontinence...very frustrating. Especially bad when walking and moving around. I was told to expect this but it doesnt make it any easier. Hope it quits soon. Im trying the Kegel exercises also.

Re: Dribble/ sphincter control

Guys! You are experiencing nothing out of the normal! Many of us take months - four in my case - to get to the point of no need for a pad. Have patience and never give up. Your body has had major changes made to it and it needs time to re-adjust. Be thankful it is so resilient and innovative! (Take parts out of anything man made and see if another part takes over that function!) I would say you are both on track and doing well. It just takes time. You have probably noticed things are better during the early part of the day and as the day progresses, leaks become more prevalent. It takes time for the new muscles to build up endurance. Hang in there! It will get better. Jon R.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS