Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

Return to Website

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Deciding between radical prostatectomy and radiation

Rob:
Making a treatment choice is a bit of a crap shoot. Most of us PCa warriors are aware that generally speaking urologists recommend surgery and radiologists recommend --well you know.
There is so much about you we don't know that may affect our response including your age, health,
marital status, PSA history, personal values etc. Rather than respond to your request for assistance with these sort of questions, let me suggest the following book by Bob Marckini: "You Can Beat Prostate Cancer..." His chapter on the advantages and disadvantages of several methods for treating PCa may be of particular interest to you. This book is readily available, an easy read and well worth its modest price. Although this book is nearly ten years old much of his information remains relevant.
With stage II PCa I suspect you feel considerable pressure to make your decision; even so reading Marckini's book may be time well spent.
Best wishes Don O.

Rob; We have all been where you are right now and I don't know if anyone can honestly give you a definite answer as to what is best for you. Only you can decide that with the help of caregivers and your own research which you are doing by posting here. We have opinions and experiences to relate but know this is a crap shoot at best for anyone.
My layman's thoughts are this; Age can be a decision consideration. Younger age (sixty or less in this arena) seems to provide better results from surgery as far as side effect seriousness. "Youth" heals better and faster. Surgery gives immediate and factual results both with outcome evaluation and side effects. Surgery outcome to some degree is dependent upon surgeon skill, find an experienced one with good "reviews". Surgery leaves options for second "curative" treatment if it fails. Surgery is serious with in your face results but is tolerable to be sure. It does have a long healing period after as with most surgery. Physical examination of the gland after removal gives good indication of the anticipated success of the procedure in getting rid of the cancer and that is after all, the main goal here.
Radiation is far easier than surgery and is said to give equal results as surgery. Side effects are minimal at first but can surface much later on. Results are not as immediately conclusive as with surgery since PSA often takes a long time to reach a level point. No physical exam of the gland is possible. No second curative procedure is usually available after radiation if it fails.
There are an infinite number of things to consider and there are NO good choices. I have had both procedures and if you want, I would be very happy to exchange e-mails to answer any more specific questions you might have as you make your way through this. Just click on the (e-mail) sign at the bottom of the post here. Jon.

Jon it sounds like you are a great authority on the subject having lived both procedures. I'm lucky in that I'm just Gleeson 6, but I know it's just a matter of time. So, if radiation fails to stop the cancer spread, removal is an option. I assume with that much time passing there is a greater chance of it spreading. We all hope for a PSA of -0- after surgery.

Rob, good luck with your journey.

Paul

Paul; It appears by your post that you misunderstood about options after treatment.? Surgery is generally not considered a good option after radiation since it causes a lot of scar tissue that makes surgery very difficult. If having a second curative option is your choice, then surgery first is the way to go leaving radiation as a backup if the surgery fails. Jon.

Jon, thank you for the clarification. I did not understand that at all. So even these fancy Protron, and IMART treatments cause scar tissue. With my Gleeson 6, the doc is just doing AS. I'm just a few weeks post diagnosis.
For those that choose radiation, if later decide on removal of the prostrate then a nerve sparing surgery become impossible, and perhaps not at all. Yikes!
Paul

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS