Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: How significant a factor is PSA velocity in recurring PCa?

David
Everything I have read over the years suggests a doubling time of less than one year represents an aggressive recurrence.

Unfortunately you are again confronted with a series of difficult choices.

As part of your research effort you may find my online journal helpful; see http://protondon.blogspot.com/ If you decide to take a look I suggest you begin with the entry titled "To My Family, Friends and Cyberspace Buddies"

Like you:

--A PET scan indicated my recurrence is limited to my prostate gland

--Thus far I have avoided whole gland treatment because of reported outcome data.

A final note: You may find my most recent journal entry particularly interesting. It addresses the issue of whether to treat a recurrence immediately or watch, wait and monitor.

my dr. said watch the alk phos and glucose after the cancer as become androgen independent (not feeding off testosterone) -mine is both now out of range.. James

Hi James,
Sorry - could you just explain "alk phos" and glucose. And what do you mean by 'out of range'? Sorry if I'm being a bit dim!

First of all let me explain what my background is--i am a retired senior scientist (with a lot of time on my hands) spent most of my adult life researching possible cures for cancer and other cures of many other diseases around the world (let me say I have not found a cure for sure) i have however found and developed many products to suppress cancer such as hormone blockers (testosterone suppression ) to stop feeding --along with products to allow men with urination issues to urinate without Catheterization along with other types of products to suppress Malaria and to remove parasites from the blood stream.. enough said about me.. as for as your question concerning Alkaline Phosphatase --it is simply and enzyme in the blood stream that is a key number (concerning prostate cancer Metastasis in the bone structure)--I have never seen a case involving a man where the prostate cancer has moved into the bone structure that died from this and where the alk phos was never outside of the lab ranges--typically Alk phos has to reach very high numbers before a man will die from androgen independent cancerous cells ( i have seen it in the range of 300 up to 2000) remember we are not talking about PSA here.. we are talking about Alk Phos levels--Alk phos is a key number to watch once the cancer moves from androgen dependent (feeds off testosterone) to androgen independent (where it feeds off of the body) mainly the bone structure-Psa appears to be, for the most part irrelevant once the cancer becomes androgen independent and hormone blockers are no longer effective as a hormone blocker is designed to address androgen dependent cancerous cells only..As for as your question concerning glucose levels--glucose levels are very important once the cancer begins to move into the bone structure (simply put) cancer love sugar and will raise glucose levels.. as a rule there are 3 things to look at when things are looking really serious--# 1- very elevated Alk phos--# very elevated Glucose levels and last but not least #3- elevated PSA. and by this time there is always pain issues to deal (from the stage 4 cancer) when all 3 of the above takes place. hope this helps--Remember I am NOT a medical DR. this info above is strictly for observation (not treatment) thru so many yrs of seeing all stages of differnet cancers in my line of work . ----James

sorry David-- answer to your question about range (this is the numbers that labs use to detect any possible unusual activity (meaning numbers out of range) --if your numbers are in range then there is not likely any concerns your dr would have..same way with glucose levels.. James

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS