Prostate Cancer Survivors

 

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

 

 

Return to Website

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

  • No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Switching providers

I searched but didn't find a thread addressing this.

I'm in Portland, Oregon, USA. My insurance plan is limits me to only a few Providence providers. I've had a lot of diagnosis and prep procedures but no actual treatment. It's been 2.5 months and I'm losing faith in my limited team. I don't meet the oncologist until Oct 31

It's October 11, 2017 and I can switch my insurance to one that would let me go to a different network, OHSU, which has a very good cacer center. But I couldn't start until Jan. 1, 2018. I want to, but it would mean postponing treatment until then.

I'm PSA 15, Gleason 9, but no evidence of spread beyond my prostate. I am otherwise a healthy person and have no symptoms. I've had prostate biopsy, CT, bone scan, bone density scan, and colonoscopy.

Any opinions for holding off for 2.5 months to make a switch?

Thank you.

Earl

Re: Switching providers

Earl, you have a very aggressive cancer and should be getting treatment NOW. I advise working out best how you can secure that. A delay of 2.5 months would be daft.

Good Luck
OC in England

Re: Switching providers

Earl:
For me dealing with PCa has always been a crap shoot,BUT there may be some truth to the adage: "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."
Another thought: Does keeping your Oct.31 appointment rule your opportunity to switch insurances? Perhaps your Oct.31 appointment could be regarded as a first opinion.
Best wishes Don O.

Re: Switching providers

Thanks again, guys. I've decided to stick with my current provider for treatments after your thoughts and speaking with the other provider. Everyone agrees I should get treatment asap.

Earl

Re: Switching providers

I am relieved to hear that, Earl. As others have advised already, I also think it is the better option. 2.5 months wait at 15 PSA, would not have been the right way to go.
Good luck, you will be fine.
FCB

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS