This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer. There are only four rules:
No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making
Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.
Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.
Hello folks, a bit of background. I'm 59 1/2 and just had two PSA results at 4.2 and 3.5. Trend up over time from 1.9 6 yrs ago to current. DRE showed enlarged prostate but no hard lumps. I plan on proceeding with a biopsy just to know.
My question is around life insurance. I know after a diagnosis, additional life insurance is problematic. I am planning on a short delay in getting the biopsy to look at options. Does anyone have experience here? I'm wondering to what degree the
Underwriting may go into current medical records or draw blood during a medical exam for PSA test. Just trying to form up a strategy for how to proceed.
Bigfoot, your PSA is in the normal range for your age and an enlarged prostate is pretty common at that age, too. Why go through the risks of a biopsy? You haven't been given a diagnosis of PCa so nothing there to affect life insurance.
You could leave things, let sleeping dogs lie and monitor your PSA quarterly - that's sometimes called watchful waiting. If you get a rising trend, then go for the biopsy.
Thx OC and appreciate your view. Everything I've seen agrees that I'm in normal range. Question is the trend from 1.7 in 2011, 2.5 in 2015 and the 3.5 to 4.2 range now. I suspect that this follows the trend in BPH though as well. My first thought was that I want to know so I scheduled biopsy for next Wed. Today, I canceled to take a pause to breathe and make sure to make a good decision. Also to move on life insurance before any diagnosis.
Regarding biopsy risk, what has your research shown? Key risk I've seen is risk of infection. Also some discomfort for a couple days after. Have I missed anything?