Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Adjuvant vs salvage therapy

Thanks Jon,
I appreciate your insight.

I was told, years ago, that salvage radiation should be started ideally before the PSA reaches 1.0. Not sure if that is still valid or if more recent studies support that or not. My salvage radiation was started about 3.5 months after the surgery to remove the prostate and my PSA was 1.15. Just information, again not sure what most recent data might suggest. My story is posted under Allen Z.

Take care,

Allen Z

Thanks Allen!

Tony,

You could ask your Urologist to tell you what the gleason score was on the positive margin. Gleason 3 or 4 or 3+4.
Ask your Urologist what he thinks your chances of recurrence. I believe his first response was a bit deceptive. You have a high probability of recurrence.

Fred

You should probably wait before any more treatment. A PSA of 0.2 is the threshold for recurrence and you can let it drift up to 0.5 (if you are a gambler) before you really should get the hormone treatment/radiation combo. There are lots of studies that seem to have come to that conclusion.

I had the hormone (6 months) and radiation salvage treatment and it didn't seem to make anything worse than the prostatectomy. It felt like going to a spa for 33 days, Monday to Fridays.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS