Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Where am I at this stage?

This will be my very first post about my condition.

I'm a 62 year old from England and was diagnosed just over 14 months ago.

I had an initial PSA level of 348 and a Gleason score of 8. I am advised that I am T3 M1 N1. Scans revealed I a have cancer in my spine and pelvis.

My treatment has comprised of a course of Chemotherapy (Docetaxel) for 4 months combined with Prostap injections every 3 months and continuing.

I only missed 2 days of work through Chemo and had little side effects. I am a very fit individual and go the gym ever work day morning and often at night too.

I have completely changed my diet and juice carrots and greens every day. I eat only organic food where possible and have no or little dairy products.

As of today my PSA level is 0.201 and has fallen at each 3 monthly blood test.

So in relation to the experience of others, where am I in terms of progress?

I understand all of the data about life expectancy and the concept of hormone refractory. My consultant will be non committal at this stage which I also understand, other than to say I am doing well.

Re: Where am I at this stage?

Mike,

My opening PSA was rather less than yours but my Gleason score was 9. My nadir nine years ago was 0.3. I'm still doing well, thanks to our NHS, about to start chemo, up to 10 cycles to get the PSA down markedly (mine has risen to 4.6 and I have soft tissue mets). It may be that you have a good many years ahead of you, as I believe I do at 73. What I have been told is that the radiographical evidence may be much more important than the PSA reading. I would keep an eye on your scan results. With your low PSA, they will probably be impressive.

A bit of advice: don't look for certainties. There are none with PCa. Your oncologist will rightly not make predictions of longevity, because they would be worthless. I would raise your sights to how you feel, get on with your life and put this damned disease into the background. None of us with PCa or without it knows how long we have to go. That's life!

Good Luck

OC (in middle England)

Re: Where am I at this stage?

GOOD ADVICE FROM "OLD CODGER" - FOR ALL OF US! HE IS A VETERAN. THANKS, JON.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS