This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer. There are only four rules:
No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making
Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.
Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.
Contact Bob Marckini and or his organization' and ask for assistance in appealing this decision. I'm a little surprised that which ever facility provided your treatment did not check out your insurance company's willingness to pay.
Best wishes Don O.
Back in December of 2015 BC/BS DID give my wife the OK to go ahead with UF Health Proton Therapy. The hospital had also been given the OK for me to have proton therapy at that time. On Feb. 17th I received a voice mail from a finance employee saying I was approved and will start my 3 day work up and to bring in on Monday Feb, 22nd my out of pocket deductible of $5,000. So I did as she asked and started my work-up.
Throughout my 39 treatments I continually asked this finance person about my claim. She kept responding not to worry this is normal up until my last two weeks of treatment. Well I did worry and spoke with the Director of the Hospital who put his director of finance manager on this. This women was excellent. She told me and put in writing that if my BC/BS appeals were denied the hospital would NOT expect me to pay out of pocket since their finance person gave me the OK to start. So that made me feel better but I still as my post shows kept fighting. I am BC/BS Federal of Florida and I went in person to my local BC/BS Fed reps. They were very helpful also. They instructed me that BC/BS Federal allows me to after an appeal denial to send them a LETTER OF RECONSIDERATION. If that fails I have one more appeal to the Office of Personnel Management.
As I stated a few posts back BC/BS Federal has denied my letter of reconsideration on the grounds they feel it did not meet their requirement of being "medically necessary". BUT because back in December they gave my wife the WRONG information, on a one time basis they will pay the hospital all the charges but they are officially denying my claim. My wife and I fought and won this hard battle for coverage and to choose proton therapy.