Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Supplements for Prostate

There are believers and there are skeptics. I lean toward skepticism. My PCa physician, Dr. "Snuffy" Myers, is a major believer. He routinely prescribes a variety of supplements and vitamins. An excerpt from my initial protocol illustrates this point; see below:

Diet, Over the Counter Drugs and Supplements

A, Mediterranean Diet--as described in a 306 page handout with the definitive title"The New Prostate Cancer Nutrition Book" and as supplemented by a single page listing of foods to consume and foods to avoid.

B. Vitamin D3--the bloodwork submitted as a prerequisite for my initial appointment showed that I was marginally low on this vitamin which controls the absorbtion of calcium, phosphate and magnesium. As I understand it this deficiency interferes with the optimal function of my immune system. Accordingly this prescription is a corrective measure.

C.Full Spectum Pomengranate extract--this product has been clinically proven to dramatically reduce the doubling time of PSA in most cases

D. Super Biocurcumin--an anti-inflammatory antioxident that promotes good health

E. Optmized Reveratol--an anti-inflamatory antioxident that promotes good health

From time to time over the years Dr. Myers changes my protocol based on his monthly blood draws.

C.Full Spectum Pomengranate extract--this product has been clinically proven to dramatically reduce the doubling time of PSA in most cases

Don,

I read the initial prostate cancer pomegranate study and it was easy to see that it was flawed. Only one patient out of 40 had a significant positive response, the average seemed to be worse if you took that subject out of the study. The follow up study never came out, as I expected, since the result looked more negative than positive. If something worked that easily it would have been found by now. There are government labs testing thousands of compounds/proteins every year trying to find the magic bullet and every year we learn a little bit more but still nothing that you can just eat to cure or slow down PC. On the other hand, despite what I wrote above, I still drank pomegranate juice for a year and it seemed to do me no harm (hmmm - maybe that is why I needed salvage treatment.)

Just eat a heart healthy diet but taking supplements, unless a doctor says you need one, is more likely to be harmful than helpful. And exercise is shown to really help.

Frank:
Thanks for the thoughtful feedback.
I was quoting Dr. Myers in the protocol report. As you may know he has an impressive research background.
I'll probably continue to follow his lead awhile longer.
One of the bothersome problems with PCa is the bonafide experts rarely agree.

Thanks every one for the feedback,I appreciate all opinions.

A different perspective. Some supplements are suspected to contribute to PCa risk. I recently stopped taking fish oil for heart health as it has been identified in some studies as potentially increasing aggressive PCa risk.

That is very common these days "recent studies" from this source and that source. Even nightly news will come up with something occasionally that studies has found some medication or whatever has been found harmful or does no good. you read this , read that.... Hell, you don't know what to believe any more. And there will be different opinions on just about every thing.

I just value my good common sense and go forward.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS