Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Higher grade gleason - analysis/opinion

I'm a Gleason 9 who has had surgery, radiotherapy and 30 months of hormone therapy. I'd like to reinforce the previous messages about remaining hopeful, being positive and valuing life. Sexual function is important but a Pca diagnosis puts things into perspective. The past 4 years have sometimes been difficult but have also been some of the best years of my life.

Sorry to come in on this conversation three weeks late, but I am another who had a Gleason 9 and opted for RALP surgery. The G9 was confirmed by post-op pathology which also showed negative margins.

27 months since surgery and PSA is 0.01, sexual function not great, but not too bad either.

G'day Jack.

It is exactly one month since your original post.

Do you have an update or reply, especially to those who posted on this topic?

Brian

Hi yes, sorry didn't get chance to update yana.

I had pain in my bladder area and been for ultrasound, everything is fine.

As far as treatment is concerned all depends on first psa value if its <.2 then I will wait for 2 months for recovery and then start radiation however if its more than that then radiation in 3-4 weeks that will give more time to recover from surgery or if more time is needed adt injection.

However all based on psa due in 2 weeks time (6 weeks in total).

thanks

Jack,

Your question is a good one. You can go to: https://www.mskcc.org/nomograms/prostate/pre-op. You will find that you have around a 99% chance of having extra capsular extension with your gleason 9. So the real question is, Will surgery improve survival? Studies have shown that you improve your survival apx 3% if you have surgery first. You have to decide if that 3% is worth it given the chances of additional side effects. You will very likely require radiation and hormone therapy down the road to maintain control of your cancer.

Your urologist should have told you this and I am disappointed that most don't.

One of my pet peeves is urologist saying that they are treating you with surgery "with curative intent". What does that mean if 99% of gleason 9/10 guys recur.

Keep in mind that you can still live a long time with the addition of systemic therapy.

Fred

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS