Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: PSA after surgery

WOW, that's discouraging, but I was afraid of that. In my own experience the oncologists are very negative, sometimes needlessly so. Seems here like the onc is right on. I'll encourage them to get him healthy; he is fairly overweight, but working on that. Thanks for the info.

Jean; - Yes, I agree with Frank that the numbers are not good. Didn't understand here that he had a surgery first. One always hopes that sort of PSA spike is from some other source - and anything is possible but the odds don't sound good. His Gleason score would be helpful in determining the seriousness also. Seems like anything over 7 is quite serious, not meaning to understate the seriousness of 7 and below but 8's and 9's are not good. Jon.

Jean

It's too bad his doc didn't inform him of the new molecular scans like C-11 choline, c-11 acetate, or PSMA. This scan would detect prostate cancer anywhere in his body. The radiation oncologist could then radiate any lesion that that was detected with this scan. He still may be able to do this, so he might want to look into this option.

Fred

Jean, I just want to add that all the advice given above is spot on and to add the thought that I think I'm the only man on this site who started out with Gleason 9 and a PSA of 62.3 and I'm still going strong after nine years, fully expecting to double that. So there is always hope. That coupled with a positive attitude and keeping fit should enable you friend's husband to follow my example. I hope so.

Old Codger in England

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS