Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Newly Diagnosed

Larry:
"They say" those of us 70 and older recover more slowly from radical prostatectomy.
As part of your research effort you may find the following book by Bob Marckini helpful: "You Can Beat Prostate Cancer..." His chapter on the advantages and disadvantages of several methods for treating PCa is usually of particular interest to the newly diagnosed. This book is readily available, an easy read and well worth its modest price. Although this book is nearly ten years old much of this information remains relevant.

In general the more research you undertake at this point (be sure to include up-to-date material) the more likely you will be to make a good decision for yourself. Your research will also enable you to ask good questions of the various clinicians you are bound to encounter as you proceed.

Best wishes Don O

Re: Newly Diagnosed

Larry: First of all I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis. That being said, you are in a good place here to research what course is best for you. What I say here is not suggestion but merely opinion of a brother having been in a very similar place as you are right now. Final decisions are yours alone so gather as much info as you can before committing. Your case sounds to me as it definitely needs attention. From what I see on this site a Gleason of six is worrisome but usually has better results than a 7. You mentioned a Gleason of 7 with perineural invasion in a couple samples. That is getting serious and overrides all the sixes. I repeat! This is just my opinion from what I experienced and as you are about to find, everyone and every case is different. Look up my story under (Jon R.) and see that we have similar cases - but different. You have got some time, but don't waste it in indifference. My e-mail is there if you would like know more of my results or just talk. Best wishes, Jon.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS