Prostate Cancer Survivors






Return to Website

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

  • No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
PSA increase after brachytherapy

In June 2011 I had brachytherapy for 3 + 3 Gleeson prostate cancer. My PSA went down to 0.1 by 12/12. The it rose to 0.2 in 6/13 and dropped to 0.1 by 12/13. Then it started rising slowly: 0.3 in 12/14, 0.4 in 7/15. Then it shoot up to 1.5 by 7/16. What chance that I have full blown recurrence? Is there anyone with similar experience? What are my treatment options? I will seem Urologist on 8/10. I have already contacted my RO.

Re: PSA increase after brachytherapy

You might want to consider getting a 3T-MP-MRI. If suspicious spot is seen they could do a fusion biopsy. If confirmed PC then you could have focal treatment like, cryotherapy, focal laser ablation, HIFU....etc. I would favor HIFU...less likely to cause serious side effects.

You could also consider waiting till your PSA goes over 2 and get one of the new molecular scans. The C-11 acetate is probably the best one out there for recurrence inside the prostate.


Re: PSA increase after brachytherapy

M. Huq
Your RO may wish to eliminate prostatitis as a first step. If an infection does not exist the next best step in my layman's opinion would be to determine if and where the recurrence exists. I chose the PET-scan, and I am glad I did. The size and location of the "recurrence" helped determine my choice of treatments.
I fully documented my experience in an online journal which contains information you may find helpful in deciding what to do... and equally important what not to do; see:
If you decide to take a look I suggest you begin with the entry titled "To My Family, Friends and Cyberspace Buddies." I will be available here to answer any questions that may occur to you.
Best wishes Don O.